Recognized since 2006
Vancouver, British Columbia
Mergers and Acquisitions Law
John’s practice has substantial transaction-based and project-based components. It also embraces ongoing advisory work to business clients ranging from large corporations to family businesses to fiduciaries. John has also had significant experience in directing major litigation for clients.
John advises clients who operate in a range of industries, including mining, bulk terminal operations, forestry, transportation, and in the financial institution, private investment and energy sectors. In addition, John has advised the Government of British Columbia on Securities Law reform, introduction of ESOP legislation and other matters, and has been involved in privatization and P3 projects.
After studying law at the University of Oxford, John taught law for six years before joining Lawson Lundell in 1981. John was the firm's Managing Partner from 2007 - 2009, a member of the Executive Committee from 2004 - 2006, and serves as Chair of the Conflicts and Ethics Committee.
Contact & Links
- Cathedral Place, Suite 1600
925 West Georgia Street
Vancouver, BC V6C 3L2
- British Columbia, 1982
- International Bar Association Conference, Vancouver, 2010 - Member, Host Committee
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Securities Law, Vancouver, Canada (2018)
- Corporate Law, Vancouver, Canada (2015)
- Securities Law, Vancouver, Canada (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Securities Law
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Global Mining
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Infrastructure
- Lexpert Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Corporate Commercial law
- 2014 Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada: recognized for mergers & acquisitions
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016: consistently recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Commercial law consistently recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Corporate Finance & Securities
- Martindale-Hubbell International Law Directory: AV Peer Review rated
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Corporate, Mergers & Acquisitions and Securities law
- Chambers Canada: recognized in the Corporate/Commercial (British Columbia) category
- Lexpert Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-Border Corporate Lawyers in Canada 2016: recognized for Corporate Finance & Securities
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate Law Lawyer of the Year in Vancouver for 2015
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Securities Law Lawyer of the Year in Vancouver for 2013
Selected experience includes:
Extensive experience with income funds including leading the largest IPO in British ColumbiaActing for over 15 years for British Columbia’s largest bulk terminalRepresenting a local transportation authority in a P3 project for the construction of a rapid transit line at a cost of $1.7 billionAdvising a coal company on the development, financing and acquisition of new minesActing on the sale of a Canadian company operating hearing aid clinics in British Columbia, Alberta, Ontario and Nova ScotiaCounsel to the special committee of the board of a forest products company in relation to the recapitalization of its $1.2 billion debt
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.