John’s practice encompasses all aspects of intellectual property law, including domestic and international patent acquisition and maintenance, trademark and copyright registration; intellectual property enforcement and litigation; trade secret protection; high-profile product and trademark clearances; large scale
due diligence efforts; joint venture and commercial agreements; and licensing. In his practice, he counsels and represents a number of Fortune 500 companies, as well as a number of mid-size and start-up organizations, and universities. He has significant experience in the automotive, plastics, aerospace, health system, medical device, advertising, and telematics fields/industries.
John is registered to practice before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He has been admitted to practice in the U.S. district courts in several states, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and the Supreme Court of the United States. He is also a longtime member of the Licensing Executive Society (LES).
From 1993-1999, John Guenther served as in-house legal counsel and Director of Intellectual Property for a prominent plastics company with both domestic and international operations. His years of in-house experience provides him with unique insight and expertise in connection with intellectual property and practical business considerations.
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Michigan
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- American Intellectual Property Law Association - Member
- Federal Bar Association - Member
- Licensing Executives Society - Member
- Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association - Member
- Oakland County Bar Association - Member
- State Bar of Michigan - Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Patent Law
- Trademark Law
- AV® Preeminent Lawyer – Peer Review Rating of 5.0 out of 5.0 (Martindale-Hubbell)
- Best Lawyers® – Patent and Trademark Law, 2016-Present
- IP Stars® – Patent Star and Trademark Star
Areas of Expertise:
- Intellectual Property