Level 16 Quay Central
Recognized since 2012
John McKenna QC has been in practice at the commercial bar in Queensland for over 30 years, including over 18 years within the ranks of senior counsel. He has a particular interest in appellate and legally complex matters.
Mr McKenna is also a Nationally Accredited Mediator, with over 15 years of experience in the mediation and expert determination of commercial disputes.
He graduated from the University of Queensland with a Bachelor of Arts (majoring in economics) and a Bachelor of Laws (Hon 1) (1983). With the support of a Rhodes Scholarship, he undertook postgraduate study at Magdalen College, Oxford, graduating with a Bachelor of Civil Laws (Hons 1) (1985).
Since commencing practice, Mr McKenna has been retained in significant matters arising from most aspects of commercial activity in Queensland, including from the mining, gas, rail, port, electricity, water, sugar, finance, building, property, education, corporate, professional services and government sectors.
He is a Fellow of the Australian Academy of Law, an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Queensland, the President of the University of Queensland Law Alumni Association, the Chairman of the Incorporated Council of Law Reporting for the State of Queensland, a member of the Supreme Court of Queensland Library Committee, a member of the statutory Legal Practice Committee and the National Secretary of the Association of Rhodes Scholars in Australia.
Liability limited by a scheme approved under professional standards legislation.
- Level 16 Quay Central 95 North Quay
Brisbane QLD 4000
- Australia, 1984
- University of Queensland - Adjunct Professor
- University of Queensland Law Alumni Association - President
- Incorporated Council of Law Reporting (Qld) - Chairman
- Supreme Court of Queensland Library Committee (Statutory) - Member
- Legal Practice Committee (Statutory) - Member
- Australian Rhodes Scholars Association - National Secretary
- Selden Society - Member
- Bar Association of Queensland - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Commercial Law, Brisbane, Australia (2020)
- Commercial Law, Brisbane, Australia (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Australia™ 2023 for work in:
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Law
- Best Lawyers - Litigation - Qld (since 2012)
- Best Lawyers - Commercial - Qld (since 2012)
- Best Lawyers - Bet-the-Company Litigation (Qld) (since 2014)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.