ohn is a highly regarded corporate/commercial lawyer with a broad range of experience gained over more than 40 years of practice. Before joining Aitken Partners, John was a partner (and then consultant) at two national corporate law firms, initially in Melbourne and subsequently in Sydney.
He has been recognised in Best Lawyers in Australia for Mergers and Acquisitions Law, Corporate Law and Corporate/Governance Practice since 2013.
John has extensive corporate transactional experience including mergers and acquisitions (domestic and cross-border, private treaty and regulated) , divestments, re-structuring, takeovers, capital raising (placements, share purchase plans), share buy-backs, IPOs and back door listings and joint ventures. He also specialises in providing advice on corporate governance and other Corporations Act issues, including:
- directors’ duties (including for ACNC registered charities);
- requisitioning and conduct of general meetings and shareholder activism;
- Board elections and removals;
- drafting notices of general meetings of shareholders (listed, unlisted and not for profit entities), Board and Committee Charters;
- ASX Listing Rules advice, approvals and waivers, continuous disclosure and compliance advice;
- ASIC exemptions and declarations;
- FIRB approvals and advice;
- employee incentive schemes;
- related party transactions;
- foreign company registrations and compliance;
- corporate constitutional reform (listed, unlisted, companies limited by guarantee, ACNC registered charities;
- negotiating and drafting a wide range of commercial agreements; and
- corporate secretarial and compliance and regulatory advice generally.