John M. Hogan serves as the chair of Holland & Knight's Litigation Section. Prior to assuming this position, Mr. Hogan headed the South Florida Litigation Practice Group, as well as the firm's White Collar Practice. In addition to having tried over 75 jury trials, Mr. Hogan has extensive experience assisting corporations with internal investigations and in handling compliance issues. He has represented corporate clients in civil, criminal, and administrative proceedings involving healthcare fraud, Foreign Corrupt Practices Act issues and a variety of other white collar matters. Prior to joining the firm, his positions included: Chief of Staff to the Attorney General of the United States, Acting United States Attorney for the Northern District of Georgia in Atlanta, Counselor to the Attorney General of the United States, Associate Deputy Attorney General of the United States, Chief Assistant State Attorney for Miami-Dade County, Florida and First Statewide Prosecutor of Florida. Mr. Hogan was appointed by the U.S. District Judge to serve as Receiver for corporations taken over by the S.E.C. Responsibilities included coordination with the SEC, DOJ, as well as creating systems for providing restitution to thousands of victims, including litigating against those responsible. See SEC v. International Capital Management, Inc. et al, No. 0:98-cv-07062-WPD (S.D. Fla.).
- Lead counsel for a Fortune 100 corporation in a Foreign Corrupt Practices Act investigation.
- Served as independent counsel to the audit committee of a publicly-traded company to investigate potential overbillings of government agencies and related False Claims Act liabilities.
- Investigated best price reporting issues and pharmaceutical sales and marketing practices for a NASDAQ- listed company under both criminal and civil investigations.
- Conducted internal investigation for publicly traded companies dealing with back dating of stock options.
- Served as independent counsel to the audit committee of a public company to investigate federal and state campaign contribution violations.
- Investigated pharmaceutical sales and marketing practices for a Fortune 100 company subject to various criminal and civil investigations involving multiple U.S. Attorneys' offices, as well as multiple investigative agencies.
- Lead counsel for a Fortune 50 corporation in a federal criminal investigation involving insurance fraud. Resolved by dormant subsidiary assuming liability, with little or no adverse publicity for the parent company.
- Represented significant national banks and bankers in major banking regulatory matters, including investigations conducted by the Federal Reserve, SEC, Controller of the Currency and Department of Justice.
- Handled major environmental indictment brought by the Department of Justice against an international transportation corporation.
At the University of Miami School of Law, he served on the Lawyer of the Americas Bar Journal.
Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide has recognized Mr. Hogan since 2005 for Litigation: White Collar Crime & Government Investigations. In 2006, Chambers described Mr. Hogan as "…well connected...and understands the pressures his clients face during investigations or criminal proceedings, often utilizing his previous experience at the DOJ to best effect." In 2010, the guide said, "A hard-working and thoughtful trial lawyer, he is prized for his pragmatic and thoughtful approach to matters. He expertly acts for corporate clients in internal investigations, compliance issues, environmental fraud, securities and healthcare fraud, among other highly sensitive matters."