Recognized since 2017
For over 35 years, John has practiced primarily in the areas of intellectual property litigation and trademark prosecution. Since joining the firm in 1986, he has been involved in patent litigation, patent interferences, International Trade Commission proceedings, trademark and trade dress litigation, trademark oppositions and cancellation proceedings, and copyright litigation. He also has experience in licensing matters and IP counseling.
In addition, John’s legal expertise also includes IP portfolio strategy and counseling, due diligence studies and opinions, audits, trade secret advice, alternative dispute resolution, nondisclosure agreements, technology transfer, consulting, employment, and community interest agreements.
John works with start-up, emerging and small companies as well as mid-sized corporations. He has been involved in contested patent matters in the electronic, chemical, and biotechnology fields involving technologies as diverse as Recombinant Protein A, monoclonal antibodies, components for printed circuit boards, chemical compositions for stripping metals, electronic diamond testers, neural network facial recognition systems, acoustic wave analysis and synthesis systems, filtration systems for semiconductor processing, and athletic footwear.
John's copyright matters have included works of art, computer game software, and architectural plans.
The World Trademark Review (WTR) 1000 - The World's Leading Trademark Professionals has hailed John as exceptional:
"The 'exceptional' John DuPré has a particular affinity with emerging and small to mid-sized entities: 'John gets straight to the nub of the problem and has an astounding breadth of experience helping a range of different clients. He is extremely practical, responsive and deliberate. It also helps that we don’t have to translate what he says for the board.'"
John is also a Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review rated lawyer. For eight years, he has been named to Super Lawyers, which is a rating of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.hbsr.com/our_people/john-dupr
- Middlesex Green
530 Virginia Road
Concord, MA 01742
- Fordham University , J.D.
- Williams College, BA
- Massachusetts Bar Association
- New Hampshire Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- United States, U.S. Supreme Court
- United States, U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- United States, U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- United States, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association - Member
- Boston Patent Law Association - Past-President; Past Board of Governors
- International Trademark Association - Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association - Member
- The New England Center for Children, Inc - Member Board of Advisors
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 2013 Calls John DuPré a "Key Figure"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2015 Hails John DuPré as "Exceptional"
- World Trademark Review 1000 2016 Brands John DuPré as "Invaluable Counsel," Noting Skills in Enforcement and Litigation, as well as Prosecution and Strategy
- Best Lawyers in America® 2017 - Trademark Law
- World Trademark Review 1000 (2017-2022) Recognizes John DuPré for the fifth consecutive year in the Gold category for trademark prosecution and strategy.
- Controlling Costs in Patent Litigation, 2013 IP Value (IAM Magazine), January 2013
- Worldwide Trademark Protection: Coverage versus Costs, IAM magazine, January 2012
- Battling Infringement, Nature Biotechnology, January 2011
- When to Choose Trade Secret Protection Over a Patent, IAM magazine, January 2011
- Renewing Trademark Registrations, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, November 2009
- Federal Circuit Clarifies Interstate Use-In-Commerce of Trademarks, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, November 30, 2016
- IP Pirates and Other Willful Infringers: Beware, the Supreme Court Eases Standards for Awarding Enhanced Patent Damages, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, June 14, 2016
- Supreme Court Determines Trademark Tacking is Jury Issue - Reconfirms Markman Claim Construction is for the Judge, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, January 29, 2015
- Colombia and Mexico Enter the Madrid Protocol for the International Registration of Marks, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, February 13, 2013
- "Protecting Brands for Virtual Currencies," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 21, 2018"
- Protecting Your Brewery’s Brands with Trademarks," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, April 27, 2018
- Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Forum, Boston Bar Association, March 28, 2018
- “Using Coexistence Agreements to Secure and Confirm Trademark Rights,” Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, September 14, 2016
- "Think Your Company’s Trademark Will Be Difficult to Protect?" Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 24, 2014
- "Patent Damages, the New Economic Realism and Early Case Assessments," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Lecture, Boston, MA, January 29, 2014
- "Trademark Basics - How to Select Good Trademarks and Effectively Protect Them," Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Webcast, June 19, 2013
- "Effectively Managing and Protecting Your Company's Intellectual Property," New England Corporate Counsel Association, June 3, 2009
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.