John Kilyk, Jr.
Recognized since 2017
Mr. Kilyk practices exclusively in the field of intellectual property law, especially patent law. Mr. Kilyk specializes in patent post-grant review proceedings, inter partes reexaminations, interferences, and oppositions, as well as legal opinions, prosecution, and litigation matters, with specific concentration in the areas of biotechnology, chemistry, and pharmaceuticals. Recent technologies with which he has been involved include biosimilars, new chemical compounds, nucleic acid sequences, proteins, enzymes, biomarkers, chemical and biological assays, monoclonal antibodies, cell lines, DNA cloning and amplification techniques, genetic vectors, medical treatments, pharmaceutical compositions, biofuels, chemical syntheses and reactions, and chemical surface treatments.
Mr. Kilyk has served as trial counsel in numerous patent lawsuits, including bench and jury trials before the U.S. district courts, proceedings before the U.S. International Trade Commission, and appeals before the U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Federal and Seventh Circuits. In addition, he has served as counsel in many interference proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, as well as in opposition proceedings before foreign patent offices.
With extensive experience in formulating patent strategies and in managing patent portfolios, Mr. Kilyk counsels and renders opinions on patent validity, patent infringement, technology licensing, and the protection of trade secrets and other proprietary information. He also prepares and prosecutes patent applications in the U.S. and foreign countries, as both independent activities and as part of coordinated overall patent strategies on behalf of clients. He has been instrumental in securing patent protection for breakthrough technologies in the U.S. and internationally. Mr. Kilyk presently serves as President of the firm.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.leydig.com/professionals/john-kilyk/
- Two Prudential Plaza, Suite 4900
180 North Stetson Avenue
Chicago, IL 60601-6745
- Georgetown University, J.D., graduated 1983
- Kenyon College, B.A. in Chemistry, graduated 1980
- Illinois, 1983
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) - Member, Biotechnology, Chemical Practice, and Interference Committees
- Intellectual Property Owners Association - (IPO)
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (trial bar)
- U.S. Court of Appeal for the Federal and Seventh Circuits
- Illinois state courts
7 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
3 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Patent Law
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rated (Highest Rating) – Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed among the Top Lawyers in Illinois in Intellectual Property Law – Chicago Lawyer
- Selected by peers as a Leading Lawyer in Intellectual Property Law – Leading Lawyers Network
- Recommended in the category of "Intellectual Property – Patent Litigation: Life Sciences/Chemical" – The Legal 500 – The Clients’ Guide to the US Legal Profession (2010)
- Named as one of "The World's Leading Patent Practitioners" - Intellectual Asset Management's IAM 1000
- Recognized nationally as a "Recommended Authority on Post-Grant Procedures" – Intellectual Asset Management's The World's Leading Patent Practitioners
- Selected as a "Life Sciences Star" – LMG Life Sciences
- Named as one of the "Super Lawyers" for Intellectual Property - Super Lawyers Magazine
- Named as an "IP Star" - Managing Intellectual Property (2013-2016)
- Recommended in the category of "Intellectual Property - Patent Prosecution - Utility and Design Patents" – The Legal 500
Additional Areas of Practice:
- Biotechnology and Life Sciences Practice
- Commercial Litigation
- Copyright Law
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Litigation - Patent
- Trademark Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.