John J. Moran
Bernstein, Shur, Sawyer & Nelson, P.A.
Recognized since 2021
Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
Corporate Governance and Compliance Law
John practices in all areas of business law, providing counsel and advice to a broad array of corporate clients on matters ranging from mergers and acquisitions, debt and equity financings, intellectual property development and licensing, as well as general business and corporate matters. As a dedicated counselor, John provides his clients with thoughtful guidance through the ins and outs of starting and scaling a business in a rapidly changing and expanding industry.
John advises a number of entrepreneurial business clients, including craft breweries, distilleries, distributors, and other food and beverage companies, regarding start-up formation, brand protection, corporate governance, and federal and state regulatory licensing and compliance issues. He takes the time to understand his clients’ short-term and long-term goals, and his passion for the craft food and beverage industry has also evolved into an avid, personal interest. John is the author of The Brew Kit, a practical guide to starting, owning, and operating a craft brewery, plus state licensing requirements for the State of Maine.
A graduate of the University of Maine School of Law, John’s academic accomplishments earned him the Justice Harry P. Glassman Memorial Fund Scholarship and the CALI Award for Top Performance in Law and Religion.
In his former life, John was:
- A business associate at another Portland, Maine law firm
- A legal extern with both the Maine District Courts and the Appellate Division of the U.S. Attorney’s Office, District of Maine
- A legal writing teaching assistant for the University of Maine School of Law’s Legal Writing Program
- Executive Editor for the Ocean and Coastal Law Journal
When John isn’t working, he is supporting local food and beverage businesses, homebrewing, and following the Boston Red Sox, New England Patriots, and Tottenham Hotspur. He is also interested in do-it-yourself projects, and his recent successes include converting a chest freezer into a fermentation chamber, and building and wiring a dual-temperature controller out of an old Super Nintendo to regulate fermentation temperatures for his homebrewing adventures.
- West Tower
100 Middle Street
P.O. Box 9729
Portland, ME 04104-5029
- University of Maine, BA
- University of Maine School of Law, JD
- Maine, State of Maine
- Massachusetts, Commonwealth of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court, District of Maine
- U.S. District Court, District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
47 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
14 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Business Organizations (including LLCs and Partnerships)
- Corporate Governance and Compliance Law
- Corporate Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.