Recognized since 1999
Uniondale, New York
Litigation - Trusts and Estates
Trusts and Estates
John J. Barnosky is a partner focusing in trusts and estates law. His practice includes estate litigation; estate planning, probate and administration of estates and trusts; and taxation. He provides estate planning and counseling advice to families, individuals, banks, foundations, and other institutions. Mr. Barnosky represents clients in litigated trust and estate matters, including will contests and disputes over the validity of trusts, before the Surrogate’s Courts and other courts throughout New York State. He is a contributor to Farrell Fritz’s New York Trusts & Estates Litigation blog.
Mr. Barnosky serves on the EPTL/SCPA Advisory Committee established by the New York State Legislature to review and modernize statutes relating to trusts and estates. He is also a member of the Taxation Section of the American Bar Association and a fellow of the American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel. For many years, Mr. Barnosky was the editor of the North Fork Bank Estate Review. He has also written articles published in the New York Law Journal, The Nassau Lawyer, and the Journal of the Suffolk Academy of Law. An Adjunct Professor of Law at Touro Law School from 1990-1993, Mr. Barnosky is a frequent lecturer at New York State Bar Association seminars on Trust and Estate Practice.
Mr. Barnosky is the past chair of the Estate and Trust Law Committee of the Nassau County Bar Association. He served as Chair of the 4,500 member Estate and Trust Law Section of the New York State Bar Association and was a member of the Association’s Task Force on Court Reorganization.
In 2016, the publication Chambers High Net Worth recognized Mr. Barnosky as a Leading Individual, NY Private Wealth: Disputes. He has been selected f or inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America annually since 1999 in the fields of Litigation-Trusts & Estates and Trusts & Estates. In 2017, he was named a "Lawyer of the Year" by the publication. He was included in The Best of the U.S.’s 2008 List of the Best Lawyers in the U.S. He was selected f or the 2007- 2016 New York Super Lawyers-Metro lists (Estate & Trust Litigation) and was named one of the Best Trusts & Estates Lawyers in America by American Lawyer in the November 2004 issue.
Mr. Barnosky received his L.L.M in Taxation in 1974 from New York University School of Law, and his Juris Doctor in 1967 from St. John’s University School of Law. He received his A.B. Degree from Assumption College in 1964.
Mr. Barnosky is admitted to practice in the State of New York, the United States Supreme Court and the United States Tax Court. He has an AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.farrellfritz.com/attorney/john-j-barnosky
- E-mail: email@example.com
- 400 RXR Plaza
Uniondale, NY 11556-3826
- St. John's University , J.D., graduated 1967
- Assumption College, AB, graduated 1964
- United States, Supreme Court
- United States, Tax Court
- New York State Bar Association
- American College of Trusts and Estates Counsel - Fellow
- EPTL/SCPA - Advisory Committee
- Nassau County Bar Association - Former Chair, Estate and Trust Law Committee
- New York State Bar Association - Former Chair, Estate and Trust Law Section
- New York State Bar Association - Former Member, Task Force on Court Reorganization
- North Fork Bank Estate Review - Former Editor
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Long Island (2020)
- Trusts and Estates, Long Island (2018)
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates, Long Island (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Litigation - Trusts and Estates
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Fiduciary Duties
- Nonprofit Organizations and Charitable Giving
- Planning for Closely Held Businesses
- Succession Planning
- Leading Individual, NY Private Wealth: Disputes, Chambers High Net Worth
- The Best Lawyers in America "Lawyer of the Year," 2017
- AV Preeminent Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating
- The Best Lawyers in America (Litigation - Trusts & Estates; Trusts & Estates), annually since 1999
- New York Metro Super Lawyers list (Estate & Trust Litigation), 2007-2016
- Best Trusts & Estates Lawyers in America, American Lawyer, November 2004
- The Best Lawyers in the U.S., 2008
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.