Recognized since 2005
Litigation - Construction
John Spangler is a former co-chair of the firm’s Construction & Government Contracts Group and has over 25 years of experience handling construction disputes and negotiating and drafting design and construction contracts.
John’s practice focuses on representing owners, contractors and design professionals in construction disputes, including jury trials, arbitrations and mediations. John has defended and prosecuted all types of construction-related claims, including delay, interference and acceleration claims, extended overhead claims, and claims of defective construction and defective design. John also handles bid and procurement protests and government contracting disputes.
On the transactional side, John has extensive experience with teaming agreements, joint venture agreements, design-build, general contractor and construction management contracts, architectural and engineering agreements, program managements and project management agreements.
He is featured as one of the leading Georgia lawyers for construction in Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and has been listed in The Best Lawyers in America since 2004. John also has been recognized by Who’s Who Legal and Super Lawyers magazine since 2006.
John received his J.D. in 1980 from Washington University School of Law and received his A.B. in economics in 1977 from the University of Illinois. He received an Amicus Curiae Award from the Georgia Supreme Court in 1986.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.alston.com/professionals/john-spangler/
- One Atlantic Center, Suite 4900
1201 West Peachtree Street
Atlanta, GA 30309-3424
- Washington University in St. Louis , J.D., graduated 1980
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, AB, graduated 1977
- Georgia, State Bar of Georgia
- Atlanta Bar Association, Construction Law Section - past chair (1994–95) and founding member
- State Bar of Georgia, Litigation Section - Member
- ABA Forum on Construction - Former Governing Committee Mamber
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Construction Law, Atlanta (2016)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Representation of an owner in federal court litigation with an EPC Contractor over the cost of installing wet scrubbers in three power plants in Maryland.
- Representation of an owner in state court litigations with an EPC Contractor over retrofit work performed at a ceramic proppant manufacturing plant in Georgia
- Representation of an owner in ICC arbitrations with an EPC Contractor with over $35 million in claims arising out of an LPG plant constructed in Trinidad.
- Representation of an owner in connection with the construction of an iron ore reduction facility in Lafayette, Louisiana.
- Representation of a lender in connection with the development of a pectin processing plant in Ireland.
- Representation of a steel erector on claims arising out of the construction of the Marlins Stadium in Miami, Florida.
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of the Georgia Dome, Centennial Olympic Stadium, Turner Field and Philips Arena projects in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of additions to football and basketball stadiums at the University of Georgia, the University of Arkansas, Louisiana State University, the University of South Carolina, Clemson University, the University of Mississippi and Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Representation of a contractor on the contract and claims arising out of the construction of additions to Emory University Hospital, Piedmont Hospital and the Children's Medical Center on the campus of the Medical College of Georgia in Augusta.
- Representation of a general contractor in connection with the construction of the Bank of America Tower, a 50 story office tower in midtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of the Atlanta Federal Center, a GSA owned and developed $200 million design-build office and retail project in downtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of the Atlanta Federal Reserve Bank Building located in midtown Atlanta, Georgia.
- Representation of the Georgia Aquarium in connection with the construction of the world’s largest aquarium facility.
- Representation of the owner of an Atlantic Station project in connection with water intrusion claims against the contractor arising out of the construction of retail and residential buildings
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of airline terminal buildings for Delta Airlines in Boston and Tampa.
- Representation of a construction manager in connection with the construction of air cargo distribution facilities in Miami, New York and Cincinnati.
- Representation of a design architect in connection with claims arising out of the design of a replacement international terminal at Atlanta’s Hartsfield-Jackson Airport.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.