Recognized since 2007
Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
Litigation - Securities
John has extensive experience in complex commercial litigation, including handling numerous trials, hearings and other matters before state and federal courts in the areas of contracts, business torts, trade secrets, real estate, securities, intellectual property, partnership and products. He has represented large multi-national clients, as well as regional and local businesses and individuals in a variety of business disputes.
In light of this diverse experience in litigating business issues, John has developed a practice in business counseling, aiding companies in overcoming challenges and leveraging opportunities to ultimately become more profitable and achieve business goals.
- Successfully defended numerous nationally prominent law firms on allegations of malpractice and other wrongdoing.
Obtained a multimillion dollar securities fraud jury verdict involving the purchase of LLC interests holding real estate in Arizona and New Mexico.
Achieved a significant jury verdict on behalf of an investor against an accountant and his firm for professional malpractice.
Represented a large international hotel company in the successful pre-litigation negotiation of a multi-million dollar real estate contract dispute over a multi-acre resort property in Paradise Valley.
Defended one of Arizona’s largest utilities in a class action lawsuit filed in the U.S. District Court in New Mexico, achieving a complete dismissal of all claims.
Obtained efficient and favorable settlement on behalf of a large group of doctor investors in a significant commercial building transaction, after performing an exhaustive factual investigation and explaining the group’s legal claims through a detailed demand letter.
Achieved favorable settlement on behalf of a racetrack owner against local government officials after achieving favorable rulings from state appellate court on issues involving violations of due process in attempted revocation of racetrack owner’s use permit.
Received multimillion dollar arbitration award from a three-member panel on behalf of an Arizona water company against two large real estate developers.
- Chambers U.S.A. Guide to America’s Leading Lawyers (2014 - 2015)
Martindale-Hubbell with AV® Preeminent Peer Rated
Best Lawyers® in America for Commercial Litigation, Securities Litigation (2007 - present)
Best Lawyers® in America for Bet-the-Company Litigation (2009 – present)
Super Lawyers (Southwest) for Business Litigation (2007 – present)
Super Lawyers (Southwest) for Securities Litigation, Professional Liability: Defense (2011 – present)
Arizona’s Top 50 Lawyers by Super Lawyers (Southwest) (2011 – present)
Arizona’s Finest Lawyers (2011 – present)
AZ Business Magazine’s Arizona Business Leader for Business and Commercial
AZ Business Magazine’s Top Lawyers (Corporate Law, 2015)
Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education: Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona (2013)
- Presenter: Conducting an Effective Cross-Examination, Lorman Education Services
Presenter: Business Litigation in Arizona: From Prefiling Concerns Through Closing Arguments at Trial, Sterling Education Services, LLC
Presenter: Ethics of Changing Firms, Arizona State Bar Convention
Chair/Presenter: Trial and Transactional Ethics, Arizona State Bar
Chair/Presenter: Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow: Litigating Against Former Employees, Arizona State Bar
Chair: Environmental Litigation, Arizona State Bar
Chair: Innovative Trial Techniques, Arizona State Bar Convention
Chair: Proving and Calculating Lost Profits, Arizona State Bar
Administrative & Criminal Prosecution of Securities Fraud Cases, Maricopa County Bar Association
Awards & Recognitions
Publications & Speeches
- 2800 North Central Avenue, Suite 1900
Phoenix, AZ 85004
- The University of Arizona, Law, graduated 1981
- United States, State Bar of Arizona
- Arizona, State Bar of Arizona
- California, The State Bar of California
- American Bar Association: Section of Litigation, Committee on Business Torts - Member
- Canyon State Academy - Advisory Board Member
- Maricopa County Bar Association - Member
- Social Venture Partners of Arizona - Executive Committee and Board Member
- State Bar of Arizona - Trial Practice Section, Chairman (1990-1991)
- State Bar of Arizona Course on Professionalism - Regular Presenter
- State Bar of California - Member
- Valley Leadership Class X - Member
- Youth Partner Foundation - Former Chairman
- Litigation - Securities, Phoenix (2018)
- Bet-the-Company Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Litigation - Securities
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business Disputes
- Civil Litigation
- Complex Litigation
- Contract Disputes
- Trade Secrets
- Super Lawyers (Southwest) for Business Litigation (2007-present), and Securities Litigation, Professional Liability: Defense (2011-present)
- Arizona’s Finest Lawyers (2011 to present)
- AZ Business Magazine's Arizona Business Leader for Business and Commercial Litigation (2016)
- Arizona Foundation for Legal Services & Education: Top Pro Bono Attorneys in Arizona (2013)
- Best Lawyers in America for Bet-the-Company Litigation (2009-present)
- Chambers U.S.A. Guide to America's Leading Lawyers (2014-2015)
- AZ Business Magazine's Top Lawyers (Corporate Law, 2015)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Arizona's Top 50 Lawyers by Super Lawyers (Southwest) (2011 to present)
- Martindale-Hubbell with AV Preeminent Peer Rated
- Chambers USA: Litigation: General Commercial (2014 - present)
- Best Lawyers®: 2018 Litigation-Securities “Lawyer of the Year” in Phoenix
- Az Business Leaders, Az Big Media (2016 - present)
- Arizona’s Top 100 Lawyers, Az Business magazine (2015 - present)
- The Best Lawyers in America©: Commercial Litigation (2007 - present); Litigation – Securities (2011 - present); Bet-the-Company Litigation (2009 – present)
- Trade Secrets Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.