Recognized since 2003
IT Outsourcing Law
John E. Cummerford focuses his practice on the legal and business needs of established and emerging growth companies, with an emphasis on software, Internet, hardware and related businesses. He advises a wide range of clients in regard to technology-related transactions, including software licensing, product development, eCommerce, co-marketing, OEM and other arrangements. He has broad experience in complex licensing, manufacturing, distribution, development, due diligence and intellectual property audit transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, John was a principal in his previous firm and also managed that firm's information technology transfer practice. John also served as Vice President & General Counsel of Kaleida Labs, an Apple/IBM multimedia joint venture, and as Vice President & General Counsel of Candle Corporation, a large mainframe software company. He began his career as corporate counsel for IBM, responsible for handling licensing, development and marketing matters for the IBM personal computer and outsourcing lines of business. John's in-house legal experience has included a wide variety of practice areas, including antitrust, commercial, bankruptcy, corporate and employment law.
Contact & Links
- 2375 East Camelback Road, Suite 800
Phoenix, AZ 85016
- Arizona State University, BA, graduated 1980
- Arizona, State Bar of Arizona
- California, The State Bar of California
- New York, New York State Bar Association
- Arizona Academic Decathlon Association, Inc. - Board of Directors
- Arizona Technology Council - Board of Directors
- Frank Lloyd Wright Foundation - Board Secretary
- Make-A-Wish Foundation of Arizona - Board of Directors
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Technology Law, Phoenix (2022)
- Trademark Law, Phoenix (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Copyright Law
- Patent Law
- Trademark Law
- IT Outsourcing Law
- Technology Law
- Information Technology
- Trade Secrets
- AV Preeminent® 5.0 out of 5
- Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) magazine, "IAM Licensing 250: The World's Leading Patent and Technology Licensing Practitioners," 2010
- Arizona's Finest Lawyers, 2011
- Super Lawyers magazine, Southwest Super Lawyers, 2007-2013
- Managing IP Magazine's World IP Handbook and Survey, "IP Stars," 2013
"John Cummerford is one of the most responsive and truly honest attorneys that I have ever worked with."
- Arlan Fuhr (Activator Methods International, Ltd.)
"Greenberg Traurig/John Cummerford is one of the best when you need IP Law."
- Lyle Myers (Esio Beverage Company LLC)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.