Recognized since 2007
Providence, Rhode Island
Litigation - Construction
John Bulman has more than 30 years of experience in construction and commercial trial matters in Massachusetts, Rhode Island, and other states. He has served as either a neutral or counsel in trials, mediations, and arbitrations in Massachusetts, Florida, Rhode Island, New York, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Ohio, Missouri, Texas, and Washington D.C. John has argued cases before the Rhode Island Supreme Court and the First and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal. John is repeatedly ranked by industry publications as among the top construction and alternative dispute resolution practitioners in New England.
John combines his extensive trial experience with his experience as a neutral arbitrator and court-appointed referee and brings to bear these perspectives in effective evaluation and presentation of cases. John has negotiated construction contracts on behalf of contractors, owners and subcontractors on a nationwide basis and frequently counsels clients on effective risk and claim avoidance.
Contact & Links
- One Financial Plaza, 26th Floor
Providence, RI 02903
- Georgetown University, J.D., cum laude, graduated 1984
- Hobart & William Smith Colleges, B.A., baccalaureate essay distinction, graduated 1980
- United States, Massachusetts
- United States, Rhode Island
- American Arbitration Association - Member, Budget and Finance Committee; National Commercial and Construction Arbitration Panels, National Mediation Panel, Master Mediator Panel, Construction Mega Project Panel; former member, National Board of Directors; former chair, Practice Committee
- American Bar Association - Member, Construction Subcommittee, Litigation Section; Member, Forum on Construction Law
- American College of Construction Lawyers - Fellow
- College of Commercial Arbitrators - Fellow
- International Bar Association - Expert Assessor, VIAC CDRC Vienna Mediation & Negotiation Competition
- International Mediation Institute - Certified Mediator
- National Construction Dispute Resolution Committee - Liaison Appointed by the American College of Construction Lawyers; Chair, Rules Subcommittee, Member, Executive Committee
- Roger Williams University - Vice Chair, Construction Management Professional Advisory Board
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of Rhode Island
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Construction Law, Providence (2021)
- Litigation - Construction, Providence (2019)
- Litigation - Construction, Providence (2016)
- Litigation - Construction, Providence (2014)
- Construction Law, Providence (2011)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Recognized by Chambers USA for General Commercial Litigation (2006-present)
- Honored by Superlawyers in Construction Litigation (2007-2016); Recognized in Top Ten RI Superlawyers List (2009, 2010, and 2012).
"I find John to be a very practical lawyer. He is very knowledgeable. He quickly lets you know your strengths and weaknesses."
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.