John B. Butler III
Recognized since 2008
Columbia, South Carolina
Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
Litigation - Bankruptcy
John Butler has been certified by the South Carolina Supreme Court as a bankruptcy specialist.
Since 1981 John Butler has been exclusively involved in all aspects of bankruptcy. John B Butler III P.A. is devoted exclusively to representing creditors, trustees and defendants in business and consumer bankruptcy matters.
We do not represent debtors, but we offer a wide range of services to non-debtor parties. We file claims and motions for relief from the stay for creditors. We also file objections to confirmation in Chapter 11 and Chapter 13 cases. We also represent defendants in preferential transfer litigation, fraudulent transfer litigation, and all other forms of consumer and business bankruptcy litigation.
We have represented banks, credit unions, individuals, corporations, and Fortune 500 companies in bankruptcy court.
We have also served as local counsel for out of state attorneys representing many parties such as trustees, examiners, and creditors in cases such as Heritage Village Church(PTL Club), Carolina Investors, HomeGold, Pulliam Ford, Joe Gibson Automotive, BI-LO, Cliffs Communities, and Georgetown Steel.
We are experienced at electronic filing.
Contact & Links
- Direct Phone Number: 803-256-9661
- Phone Number: 803-256-9661
- Lawyer Page: https://jbbutler.com/about-us
- 1217 Anthony Avenue
Columbia, SC 29201
- The University of South Carolina, J.D., graduated 1981
- The University of South Carolina, B.A. Magna Cum Laude, graduated 1978
- United States, Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States, U.S. District Court, District of South Carolina
- South Carolina, South Carolina Bar
- American Bankruptcy Institute - Member
- South Carolina Bankruptcy Law Association - Member
- United States Bankruptcy Court
1 The Best Lawyers in America® award
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law, Columbia, SC (2018)
- Litigation - Bankruptcy, Columbia, SC (2014)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Litigation - Bankruptcy
- Former Chairman of Bankruptcy Specialization Committee of South Carolina Bar
- Best Lawyers In America 2009, 2011- 2020 (Tier 1 Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights / Insolvency and Reorganization Law)
- Super Lawyers 2008, 2009, 2011 - 2020
2014 Lawyer of the Year Bankruptcy Litigation Best Lawyers in America - Columbia, SC.
2018 Lawyer of the Year Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency Best Lawyers in America - Columbia, SC.
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.