Jim Phillips brings to his clients the ability to address their problems through effective advocacy in a variety of forums. Representing primarily businesses, business people and professionals, he has extensive experience in federal and state courts, in administrative proceedings, and before local governing bodies. As a result, he has the ability to recognize and implement a variety of strategies that might lead to favorable results for his clients.
Jim has litigated complex business matters in federal and state courts in North Carolina and across the United States. He has led the defense of significant claims for violations of the federal and state securities laws, as well as claims alleging professional negligence brought against national and regional accounting firms and law firms. He has litigated numerous intellectual property and trade secrets cases, many of which involved preliminary hearings seeking injunctive relief. In addition, Jim has litigated cases involving contracts, real property, employment issues, tax issues, defamation, construction issues and a variety of business torts.
Jim's litigation skills have been recognized by his peers. He has been voted as one of the top 100 lawyers and recognized regularly for Business Litigation in North Carolina Super Lawyers. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America, recognized in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Litigation, listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business, and recognized as a litigation star in Benchmark Litigation.
In addition to his trial practice, Jim has appeared on behalf of clients in a number of administrative proceedings. He has represented clients in hearings before the North Carolina Utilities Commission, the North Carolina Property Tax Commission, the North Carolina Tax Review Board, the North Carolina Board of Elections as well as in a number of proceedings before the Office of Administrative Hearings.
For three years during the 1990s, Jim served as Legislative Counsel to the Honorable Jim Hunt, Governor of North Carolina. Utilizing his knowledge of government, legislative bodies and the law, Jim also represents developers and land owners before local government bodies in land use and zoning matters. Jim has handled zoning matters in Greensboro and other North Carolina municipalities and has handled appeals to the North Carolina Court of Appeals and the North Carolina Supreme Court arising from those local matters.Honors & Awards
- Selected by his peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America in Commercial Litigation, Litigation--Intellectual Property, and Litigation--Securities
- Recognized in North Carolina Super Lawyers in Business Litigation (2006-2019); Top 100 (2007-2009)
- Recognized by his peers for inclusion in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" in Litigation (2005-2006, 2008-2010, 2015-2016 and 2019); Appellate (2018)
- Recognized by Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Litigation: General Commercial (2004-2019), and Litigation (2004)
- Recognized by Benchmark Litigation as a "Litigation Star" in General Commercial Litigation and Intellectual Property (2015-2019)
- Listed as one of Business North Carolina's 2018 "Power 100"
- At-Large Member, Public School Forum of North Carolina, 2017-present
- Member, University of North Carolina Board of Governors, 1997-2009; Board Chair 2006-2008
- Co-Chair, North Carolina Bar Association Committee on Judicial Independence
- Director, James B. Hunt Institute for Educational Leadership and Policy
- Chair, Greensboro Economic Development Alliance
- Trustee, Blue Cross Blue Shield of North Carolina
- Jim Phillips Named to Business North Carolina's Power 100 List
- Greensboro Prevails in Challenge to City Council Redistricting Legislation, Jim Phillips Leads Brooks Pierce Team
- Henry Frye and Jim Phillips Named to Triad's Most Influential People List
- Brooks Pierce Lawyers Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2016
- Brooks Pierce Earns Top Rankings in 2015 Chambers USA
- Brooks Pierce Attorneys Named Super Lawyers, North Carolina Super Lawyers
- Jim W. Phillips Jr. is Focus of 2008 North Carolina Super Lawyers Feature Story