Recognized since 2006
Litigation - Environmental
Jennifer Nijman is a founding partner of the environmental firm Nijman·Franzetti LLP with wide ranging experience in litigation defense and enforcement issues as well as issues involving waste and contaminated property. She was formerly a partner and chair of the environmental practice group at the Chicago office of a national law firm.
Ms. Nijman represents clients in environmental litigation and enforcement defense, including toxic tort claims, private party disputes, and actions brought under the Clean Air Act, the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act, and all phases of CERCLA and the Superfund process. She has experience with permit and siting proceedings as well as petitions for adjusted standards and variances before the Pollution Control Board. Ms. Nijman has successfully represented clients in regulatory disputes and negotiations with both state and federal agencies, and has implemented supplemental environmental projects/pollution prevention plans to reduce or eliminate fines and penalties. She counsels clients in compliance issues and in the development of environmental management systems.
A significant portion of Ms. Nijman’s practice includes representing clients in the environmental aspects of corporate and real estate transactions. She works with closely with consultants and clients to develop strategies for the acquisition and sale of contaminated property. She evaluates due diligence, prepares and negotiates environmental provisions of purchase and sale agreements, and works with environmental insurance products where appropriate. Her clients have included lenders, private equity companies, developers and corporations.
Ms. Nijman has arbitrated and mediated cases through the American Arbitration Association and the Center for Conflict Resolution. She was President of the Chicago Bar Association in 2002–2003 and currently serves on the Illinois Supreme Court Commission for Access to Justice. She is a past president and Board member of the Lawyers Trust Fund of Illinois.
Ms. Nijman received her J.D. from the University of Chicago Law School in 1987, and her B.A. from the University of Illinois in Champaign in 1984. She is a member of the Federal Trial Bar for the Northern District of Illinois and is admitted to the Illinois and Wisconsin Bar, as well as the U.S. Supreme Court.
- 10 South LaSalle Street, Suite 3400
Chicago, IL 60603
- Gender: Female
- University of Chicago, J.D., graduated 1987
- University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign, B.A., graduated 1984
- Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Illinois, Illinois State Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association - Member
- Chicago Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Litigation - Environmental, Chicago (2020)
- Litigation - Environmental, Chicago (2018)
- Litigation - Environmental, Chicago (2015)
- Environmental Law, Chicago (2014)
- Litigation - Environmental, Chicago (2012)
- Environmental Law
- Litigation - Environmental
- Who's Who Legal USA and IL
- Leading Lawyers
- Lawyers Trust Fund of IL Award
- ISBA Board of Governors Award
- Illinois Super Lawyer
- Chambers USA America's Leading Lawyers Business
- CBA Alta May Hulett Award
- American College of Environmental Lawyers; 2021 recipient of the Justice John Paul Stevens Award
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.