Recognized since 2012
Litigation - Construction
Jeffrey Alitz is Chair of Freeman Mathis & Gary’s Construction and Design Law national practice section and is a partner in the Boston office. For over two decades, he has been a nationally recognized A&E attorney who has tried cases throughout New England defending an array of construction and design professionals.
Mr. Alitz ‘s mediation and arbitration experience, particularly concerning construction and real estate disputes is extensive. Over his multi-decade career, Mr. Alitz has mediated or arbitrated hundreds of construction/real estate cases to a successful resolution. The construction disputes he has mediated and arbitrated run the gamut from property line and ownership disputes to claims concerning the Boston Harbor Cleanup, The Central Artery/Tunnel Project (A/K/A The Big Dig), municipal water and wastewater treatment facilities, public schools and colleges throughout New England, professional sports stadiums and Boston area high-end condominium and hotel projects.
Most recently Mr. Alitz was involved as counsel for the following successfully resolved matters:for the arbitration and eventual follow-on litigation of a dispute concerning the lay out, design and construction of Patriot Place at Gillette Stadium,for the arbitration of disputes arising out of the design and construction of the 657,000 square foot Home Depot Distribution Facility in Westfield, MA (so large it’s designers had to account for the curvature of the earth in planning its structural elements),for the mediation of a dispute concerning the design and construction of The Westin Seaport Hotel, Boston,for the mediation of conflicts concerning the redesign and renovation of the Lenox Hotel, Boston,for the 7 day mediation of claims arising from the design and construction of a Cambridge MA powerplant,for the mediation of claims resulting from the construction and operation of wastewater facilities in Wolfeboro, NH, Hooksett, NH and Winchester, NH,for the mediation of cases in Massachusetts that concern the development and construction of multi-unit residential projects and condominium projects throughout the state.
Mr. Alitz has been lead counsel in hundreds of cases involving architects, engineers, construction managers, contractors, owners, attorneys, accountants and other professionals in jury and non-jury trials, arbitrations and mediations. He concentrates in complex and multiparty disputes and has handled numerous multimillion dollar claims. His practice includes not just Massachusetts, and he has defended and tried cases to verdict throughout New England.Mr. Alitz’s construction and design practice includes representing business corporations and local governments of all types, including general contractors, subcontractors, owners, developers, suppliers, and sureties. He often is called upon to review construction contracts, policies and procedures and develop preventative strategies to reduce the likelihood of litigation. He also handles construction defect cases and tort claims arising out of construction site accidents.
- 60 State Street, Suite 600
Boston, MA 02109-1800
- Boston University School of Law
- Massachusetts, Active
- New Hampshire, Active
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Honorary Member, New Hampshire Chapter American Institute of Architects - Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association - Member
- New Hampshire Bar Association - Member
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Law
- Litigation - Construction
- Professional Liability
- Professional Malpractice
- Massachusetts Super Lawyer by Law & Politics magazine in the areas of Construction Litigation, and Professional Liability: Defense, 2013–2018
- The Best Lawyers in America® in the fields of Commercial Litigation, Construction Law, Litigation - Construction, 2012–2020
- Ethics and Professional Responsibility Law
- Legal Malpractice Law
- Legal Malpractice Law - Defendants
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- Product Liability Litigation
- Product Liability Litigation - Defendants
- Professional Malpractice Law
- Professional Malpractice Law - Defendants
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.