Recognized since 2019
Oil and Gas Law
Jeff has extensive experience in all aspects of liquefied natural gas (LNG), gas-to-liquids (GTL), pipeline, petrochemical and independent power and water projects and other forms of energy. He advises clients with respect to the structuring, development, financing and operation of world-wide energy projects, and other corporate, commercial and energy-related matters both domestic and international.
Prior to joining Lawson Lundell, Jeff worked for Qatar Petroleum, ultimately as General Counsel, and continues to be recognized for his substantial Middle East experience. He has also practiced with two major law firms in Calgary and an international pipeline company.
Jeff also has experience with private equity transactions, including limited partnerships and other limited liability structures, corporations, financings, and mergers and acquisitions, often involving multiple jurisdictions.
Jeff has been a sessional instructor at the Faculty of Law, University of Calgary for many years. The courses that he has taught include International Petroleum Transactions; Business Associations, Advanced Business Transactions and International Business Transactions. Prior to this, he taught at the Faculty of Management, University of Calgary.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: https://www.lawsonlundell.com/team-Jeffrey-Scobie
- Suite 1100, 225-6th Avenue S.W.
Calgary, AB T2P 1N2
- Alberta, 1985
- British Columbia, 2018
- United Kingdom, England and Wales
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in Canada™ 2023 for work in:
- Energy Law
- Oil and Gas Law
- Best Lawyers in Canada: recognized for Oil & Gas Law
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business, ranked, Energy: Oil & Gas (Transactional) and Qatar, Projects & Energy Foreign Expert Based in Canada
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2016: repeatedly recommended as a Leading Practitioner for Energy (Oil & Gas)
- Legal 500 Canada: recommended for Energy (Oil and Gas)
- Lexpert Special Edition 2016: Leading Canadian Lawyers in Energy
- Who's Who Legal Canada 2016: recognized for Energy law
ExperienceRecent representative experience includes acting for:
- Paramount Resources Ltd. with respect to various upstream and midstream matters in Alberta
- Sasol Petroleum International in connection with its $2.1 billion acquisition of interests in the Farrell Creek and Cypress A shale gas projects in British Columbia
- Sasol Canada Holdings Limited in connection with a potential gas-to-liquids project in North America
- Talisman Energy Inc. in connection with its acquisition of shale gas interests in Poland
- Various Gazprom entities in connection with: (a) the Shtokman LNG export project (Russia); (b) the ECA receiving terminal in Baja, Mexico; and (c) the Sakhalin II LNG export project (Russia)
- Qatar Petroleum and the State of Qatar in connection with numerous matters (Qatar); including LNG, GTL, Petrochemical, IPP and pipeline projects
- Keltic Petrochemicals Inc. in connection with its development of an LNG receiving terminal, a petrochemical facility, and other related facilities, in Goldboro N.S
- An Alberta-based public oil and gas exploration and development company in connection to a large transaction involving its acquisition of long-term natural gas transportation and processing capacity from a major midstream player. The long-term value to the client was over $1 billion
- An electric utility in connection with the $1.2 billion purchase of an interest in a hydro-electric dam in British Columbia
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.