Recognized since 2008
Arbitration and Mediation
Information Technology Law
Intellectual Property Law
Privacy & Data Protection Law
Javier Fernández-Samaniego is Managing Director of SAMANIEGO Law, an alternative Iberoamerican law firm specializing in technology law and dispute resolution. Javier's international practice focuses mainly in Commercial/IT disputes (international litigation, arbitration, and ADR) and negotiations and major Tech & Privacy projects (new cloud and big data business models, outsourcing transaction, data protection review programs, etc.). Javier has vast experience assisting European clients in their expansion in Latin America and US clients in their European expansion. He is Foreign Legal Consultant (certified by The Florida Bar). Javier is an arbitrator at the information and communication technologies department of the Chamber of Commerce of Madrid. He is also a CEDR accredited mediator and has advised on a number of alternative dispute resolution cases for clients. He is a member of CPR Panel of Distinguished Neutrals and its European Advisory Board.
2017 - Launch of Samaniego Law
2005-2016 - Founding and managing partner of the Spanish office of Bird & Bird and head of its Commercial, Dispute Resolution, and Information Technology teams.
2000-2005 - Head of the IT and Communications at Linklaters.
1996-2000 - Head of Technology and Data Protection team at Spanish firm Cuatrecasas.
1995-1996 - In-house lawyer at the CDTI (Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology), European Space Agency representative in Spain.
Other relevant experience
Javier lectures and writes extensively on technology law and ADR, as well on innovation in the legal sector. He is Senior Fellow at Florida International University developing its Latin Atlantic Tech law Collaborative. He also keeps a blog Metamorphosis on the legal issues related to innovation and disruptive technology at FIDE Foundation. Javier is fluent in Spanish, English, French and Italian.
- Admitted. Madrid Bar Association (1995)
- Certified Foreign Legal Consultant. The Florida Bar (2017)
- Príncipe de Vergara, 9,
- Spain, ICAM (Madrid)
- Spain, General Council of Spanish Lawyers
- Association of Corporate Counsel (ACC) ACC Europe, etc. - -
- Atlantic Institute of Government (IADG) - lecturer
- Centre for Effective Business Resolution (CEDR) - mediator
- CEU Google Privacy Chair - member of working group
- CEU San Pablo University - lecturer
- European Arbitration Association (AEADE) - member / abritrator
- Florida International University (FIU) - coordinator of Latin Atlantic Tech Law Collaborative
- Foundation for Research in Law and Business (FIDE) - member of Business Advisory Council; author of blog 'Metamorphosis' on legal issues connected with disruptive technology; Javier chairs the working group on implementation of GDPR in Spain
- ICCA and IBA - member of Joint Task Force on Data Protection in International Arbitration Proceedings
- Information Accountability Foundation (IAF) - member of working group for the GDPR Legitimate Interests Assessment Project
- Instituto de Empresa (IE) - lecturer
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution/ American Arbitration Association (ICDR/AAA) - member / arbitrator
- International Chamber of Commerce ICC Commission on the Digital Economy - member
- International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution (CPR) - distinguished neutral; member of European Board; member of working group on Cybersecurity in Arbitration
- Judicial Arbitration and Mediation Services (JAMS) - -
- Madrid Court of Arbitration - member / arbitrator
- Privacy Law & Business (PLB) - -
- Privacy Law Salon - -
- Spanish Arbitration Club (CEA) - member
- Superior Institute of Law and Economy (ISDE) - lecturer
- University of Navarra - lecturer
- Communications Law, Madrid, Spain (2023)
- Outsourcing, Madrid, Spain (2023)
- Outsourcing, Madrid, Spain (2021)
- Privacy & Data Protection Law, Madrid, Spain (2019)
- Technology Law, Madrid, Spain (2017)
- Privacy & Data Protection Law, Madrid, Spain (2016)
- Information Technology Law, Madrid, Spain (2015)
- Privacy & Data Protection Law, Madrid, Spain (2014)
- Arbitration and Mediation
- Communications Law
- Information Technology Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- International Arbitration
- Media Law
- Privacy & Data Protection Law
- Technology Law
- Information Technology
- 40 under 40 Award from Iberian Lawyer in 2007 and 2011
- Tier 1 in IT (Legal 500 EMEA)
- Who´s Who Legal legal directory listing in Data: IT, Aviation: Regulatory and Arbitration: Future Leaders - Partners
- Leaders League: Samaniego Law is ranked among the Excellent firms in the ranking for Technologies, Internet & Telecommunications (2018, Spain)
- Shortlisted for FT Innovative Lawyers Report and Awards for Europe as Legal Innovator of the Year (Javier F. Samaniego) and Pioneering an Iberoamerican Alternative Law Firm model (Sep 2017). Javier F. Samaniego - one of the "10 top original legal thinkers" in Europe in 2017.
- Clients Choice Award in IT in 2019, 2015, 2013, 2011 and 2010
- Band 1 in IT (Chambers Europe) and Recognized Practitioner in Dispute Resolution (Europe and Global guides)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.