Recognized since 1987
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Real Estate Law
James R. Brown concentrates his law practice in municipal law and real property law. He represents many townships, villages, cities and other municipal bodies throughout West Michigan and elsewhere in the state.
His law practice has a particular emphasis in the representation of townships, and he serves as general counsel for a large number of townships in Kent County and in surrounding counties.
Jim is also an experienced township official, having served for 25 years as chairperson of the Grand Rapids Township Planning Commission. He also served for 20 years as chairperson of the Board of Zoning Appeals of Grand Rapids Township. He is an active member of the Michigan Townships Association and has written and lectured extensively on legal matters affecting townships, villages and public authorities.
A significant portion of his practice involves zoning and other land use matters. He has drafted zoning ordinances for many local governments in Michigan, and his articles on zoning and real property law have appeared in the Michigan Planning and Zoning News, the Michigan Real Property Review, and other publications. He is also active in representing district libraries and other types of libraries established by local governments.
Jim also has an extensive real property law practice, and has been active at the state level as an officer of the Real Property Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan. He served for several years as a member of the Council of the Section. He is a former chairperson of the Real Property Law Section, and been a member of the State Bar Land Title Standards Committee for more than 25 years, and is a former chairperson of that committee.
- 900 Monroe Avenue, NW
Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Albion College, A.B.
- University of Michigan, Juris Doctorate
- Michigan, 1965
- American College of Real Estate Lawyers - Member
- American Planning Association - Member
- Michigan Association of Municipal Atttorneys - Member
- Michigan Association of Township Attorneys - Member
- Michigan Society of Planning Officials - Member
- National Association of Bond Lawyers - Member
- State Bar of Michigan - Member
- Real Estate Law, Grand Rapids (2014)
- Municipal Law, Grand Rapids (2013)
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Law
- Real Estate
- Listed in Best Lawyers of America since 1987
- Named by Best Lawyers as Grand Rapids' 2013 Municipal Lawyer of the Year and 2014 Real Estate Lawyer of the Year
- Listed in Michigan Super Lawyers
- Selected by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as a 2014 Leader in the Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.