Recognized since 2015
Jim is a co-founder of Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds. For more than 40 years, Jim has helped universities, start-ups and emerging companies, small companies, and mid-sized corporations obtain, expand, and protect intellectual property rights.
Jim has devoted his career to the practice of intellectual property law with particular focus on patent prosecution and post-grant proceedings, portfolio strategy and counseling, due diligence studies, opinions, freedom to operate studies and intellectual property litigation support.
Jim assists clients in the electronics, computer science, communications, physical science and various engineering fields including electrical, biomedical and mechanical engineering. With regards to complex electronic and computer software advancements, Jim works in the areas of analog and digital circuits, network routers and algorithms, wireless communications, memory devices and systems, power supplies, speech processing and business applications.
Jim’s practice offers equal expertise in the physical sciences including medical devices, infrared and electromagnetic sensors, electro-mechanical drives, lasers, cryotechnology, and optics.
Jim is a Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review rated lawyer. Since 2015, he has received distinction from Best Lawyers in America® for his expertise in Patent Law. For 18 years, Jim has also been named to Super Lawyers, which is a rating of outstanding lawyers who have attained a high-degree of peer recognition and professional achievement.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.hbsr.com/our_people/james-smith
- Seaport West
155 Seaport Boulevard
Boston, MA 02210
- Georgetown University
- Old Dominion University, Electrical Engineering
- Massachusetts, Massachusetts Bar Association
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- United States, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Intellectual Property Law Association - Member
- Boston Patent Law Association - Member
- Massachusetts Bar Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Patent Law, Boston (2023)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Patent Law
- Martindale-Hubbell featured AV Peer Review rated lawyer
- Recognized by The Best Lawyers in America® for Boston Patent Law since 2015
- Named to Super Lawyers for 18 Years
Areas of Concentration
Practice Areas: Patents, Counseling, Post-Grant Proceedings, Design Patents, IP Litigation
Technologies: Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Medical Devices, Telecommunications, Network Infrastructure, Optics & Photonics, Robotics, Computer Hardware, Semiconductors, Computer Software, Medical Imaging, Mobile, Internet of Things, Clean Technology
- Battling Infringement, Nature Biotechnology, January 2011
- When to Choose Trade Secret Protection Over a Patent, IAM magazine, January 2011
- PTO Issues Final Rules to Implement Declaration Provisions of AIA, Hamilton Brook Smith Reynolds Alert, August 21, 2012
- "Effectively Managing and Protecting Your Company's Intellectual Property," New England Corporate Counsel Association, June 3, 2009
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.