James M. "Jim" Matulis
Recognized since 2011
Litigation - Intellectual Property
Jim Matulis is currently one of less than 1% of all Florida attorneys to be certified by The Florida Bar as an Expert in Intellectual Property Law.
Although Jim has received a number of accolades from his peers for his practice relating to Intellectual Property, he is most honored by his five-time selection as Lawyer of the Year for Tampa by Best Lawyers in America®-– in 2013 & 2017 for Trademark Law, and in 2016 & 2019 for Intellectual Property Litigation and in 2021 for Copyright Law. In addition to Lawyer of the Year, Jim has been recognized every year since 2011 by Best Lawyers in America®in the areas of Intellectual Property Law, Trademark Law, Copyright Law, and Commercial Litigation.
Most recently, The Law Office of James Matulis has received a Tier 1 ranking in the 2016 edition of U.S. News - Best Lawyers "Best Law Firms" in areas of Intellectual Property Law and Business Litigation, including: Intellectual Property Law, Trademark Law, Copyright Law, and Commercial Litigation. Jim has also been selected by his peers to receive recognition from Super Lawyers, featuring selected Intellectual Property Law attorneys from across the United States, for every year since 2010.
Jim is also a Registered Patent Attorney licensed to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, and author of A Step-by-Step Look at the Patent Litigation Process, part of the “Inside the Minds Series of Books for C-level Professionals,”published by Aspatore Books.
With his office in Tampa, Florida, he has also been awarded the highest Attorney Peer Review Rating (AV) by Martindale-Hubbell for legal ability and ethics.
Jim has extensive experience in counseling clients in all areas of intellectual property law transactions and business disputes, including serving as lead counsel in lawsuits involving patent infringement, trademark infringement, copyright infringement, unfair competition, deceptive trade practices, false advertising, internet domain name registrations, internet defamation, non-compete agreements, non-disclosure agreements, and theft of trade secrets. Jim has represented clients in lawsuits and business negotiations involving "works of authorship" such as software, music, jewelry, fiction and nonfiction texts, videos, photographs, and sculptures. He is intimately familiar with the state and federal courts in Florida, and particularly in the Tampa-St. Petersburg-Clearwater area.
Jim has also assisted Florida clients with the protection and enforcement of a number of patented processes and devices, including from consumer products, construction devices, and exercise equipment, computer systems, software. In addition to infringement cases, Jim handles disputes in a variety of business areas, including allegations of theft of trade secrets such as customer lists and technical know-how, breach of non-compete agreements, unfair competition, fraudulent business practices, disputes involving license agreements, and breach of contract.Jim's experience and knowledge allow him to effectively and efficiently represent his clients, from preparing and responding to cease and desist letters all the way through trial and appeal in all Florida state and federal courts. He serves both as an arbitrator and as an advocate in front of arbitration panels. He has successfully resolved numerous matters prior to either party filing a lawsuit.
Jim also assists his clients by negotiating licensing agreements and assignments covering all forms of intellectual property, as well as drafting a wide variety of agreements and contracts. Jim is active in local, state, and federal bar associations, having contributed to publications and being invited to present continuing legal education courses to other intellectual property attorneys. He recently completed his term as the Co-Chair of the Intellectual Property Law Section of the Hillsborough County Bar Assocation, headquartered in Tampa.
Jim utilizes this wealth of specialized experience and a voice of reason respected by his peers when he serves as a mediator.
As a member of the Florida Bar Intellectual Property Committee, Jim has served on a subcommittee to formalize case management rules for patent cases in the District Courts of Florida.
Jim's main hobby is enjoying his family, including his lovely wife, two wonderful daughters, their funny-looking Puli, and the Tampa Bay area.
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Lawyer Page: https://www.matulislaw.com/jim-matulis2.html
- Chase Professional Park
10906 Sheldon Road
Tampa, FL 33626
- University of Florida, J.D., graduated 1995
- Clemson University, Ch.E, graduated 1989
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- Florida Bar - Business Law Section (Chair 2020-2021) - Intellectual Property Committee
- HIllsborough County Bar Association - Intellectual Property Law Section Co-Chair (2009-2011)
- Copyright Law, Tampa (2023)
- Copyright Law, Tampa (2021)
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, Tampa (2019)
- Trademark Law, Tampa (2017)
- Litigation - Intellectual Property, Tampa (2016)
- Trademark Law, Tampa (2013)
- Commercial Litigation
- Copyright Law
- Litigation - Intellectual Property
- Trademark Law
- Selected to Florida Trend Magazine's Legal Elite for Interllectual Property, 2011
- Selected to "Tampa's Best Lawyers® 2010" in the specialty of Intellectual Property Law
- Rated "AV Preeminent 5.0 out of 5" by Martindale Hubbell
- Rated 10.0 out of 10 by Avvo.com
- Board Certified in Intellectual Property Law, The Florida Bar
- Regsitered Patent Attorney - United States Patent and Trademark Attorney
- Selected to The Best Lawyers in America® in the specialty areas of Intellectual Property Law (2011, 2012, and 2013); Litigation - Intellectual Property (2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016); Trademark (2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016); and Copyright Law (2014, 2016);
- Selected to Super Lawyers, featuring selected Intellectual Property Law attorneys from across the United States, every year since 2010.
- Patent Law
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.