Recognized since 2007
Admiralty and Maritime Law
Jim is Chairman of the firm’s Litigation Practice Group. His primary practice areas include admiralty, business, cybersecurity, data privacy, railroad/transit, and unmanned systems. Jim has tried over 100 cases to jury verdicts for clients involving a broad range of legal disputes.
Jim advises governing boards and senior leadership regarding risks and resolution strategies in high-profile cases. His service as general counsel to companies, and as a director and officer of several non-profit organizations, helps clients resolve difficult challenges and plan strategically.
From 2013 - 2017, Jim served on the governing board of Virginia Tech, and was chair (Rector) of the board in 2016 - 2017. Virginia Tech is a leading research university with an annual budget of $1.5 billion, serving over 30,000 students. The University’s motto is Ut Prosim, Latin for “That I May Serve,” which is Jim’s passion for both his alma mater and his clients.
Contact & Links
- Lawyer Page: http://www.cwm-law.com/james-chapman.aspx
- 150 West Main Street, Suite 1500
Norfolk, VA 23510
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- North Carolina, North Carolina Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association - Member
- American Bar Association - Member
- Federation of Defense & Corporate Counsel - Member
- Defense Research Institute - Member
- Association for Unmanned Vehicle Systems International - Member
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute - Chairman, 1997
- I'Anson-Hoffman American Inn of Court - President, 2010-2011
- Maritime Law Association of the United States - Proctor
- Housing Authority Defense Attorneys - Member
- National Association of Railroad Trial Counsel - Member
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals - Member
- Norfolk & Portsmouth Bar Association - Member
- Virginia Law Foundation - Fellow, 2016
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- United States District Court, Eastern and Western Districts of Virginia
- United States District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of North Carolina
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Admiralty and Maritime Law, Norfolk (2021)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2023 for work in:
- Admiralty and Maritime Law
- Commercial Litigation
- AV® Preeminent™ Peer Review Rating by LexisNexis Martindale-Hubbell
- Selected as a Top Rated Lawyer in Transportation by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers, Transportation/Maritime, 2006-2018
- Listed in Virginia's Legal Elite, Civil Litigation, Virginia Business Magazine, 2011, 2014
- Virginia Beach Human Rights Commission Award, 2003
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.