Recognized since 2014
Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
With 40 years of practice under his belt, Jim Chalat is a senior partner at Chalat Hatten & Banker PC. He represents personal injury victims, families who have suffered from wrongful death cases and handles complex litigation involving car and truck accidents, ski cases, and malpractice cases. Let his experience work for you.
A Colorado lawyer since 1977, Mr. Chalat is Board Certified as a Civil Trial Advocate by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a sustaining member of the American Association for Justice and the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.Mr. Chalat’s work has allowed him to engage with a diverse range of clients, from a profoundly disabled son of Hispanic American farm laborers, to Olympic Athletes, urban office workers, physicians, and elite business people.
His commitment to his clients and his success in the courtroom has not gone unrecognized. Jim has been selected for the Colorado SuperLawyers list each year that members of the Colorado Bar have been considered for the distinction. Since 2015, Denver's premier magazine 5280 has named him as one of only five "Top Denver Lawyers" in the personal injury category. Most recently, he has been selected by Best Lawyers for recognition as 2017 Best Lawyers - Lawyer of the Year, Professional Malpractice Law for Plaintiffs.
Mr. Chalat is an active member of the community investing time in pro bono case work, law school lectures (at institutions such as Harvard Law School and the University of Denver Sturm College of Law), and youth mentoring. Each year, the firm receives the Colorado Supreme Court’s Pro Bono Achievement Award which requires each attorney to volunteer more than 40 hours annually to matters benefiting financially disadvantaged clients. Jim has also volunteered for the Colorado State Bar Association’s high school mock trial program and was active for over 20 years in the Inns of Court in Denver, an organization focused on legal ethics and professionalism.
Born in California, raised in Detroit, and educated at the University of Michigan and the University of Denver College of Law, Mr. Chalat has settled in Colorado. He is father to four grown children and husband to fellow law partner, Linda Chalat.
Contact & Links
- 1600 Broadway, Suite 1920
Denver, CO 80202
- University of Denver , J.D., graduated 1977
- University of Michigan - Ann Arbor, B.G.S., graduated 1974
- Colorado, Colorado Bar Association
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- American Association for Justice - President's Club
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Associate
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association - Board of Directors, 1996-2000, frequent speaker
- Faculty of Federal Advocates - Board of Directors, 2007-2011, Treasurer 2009-2011
- Harvard Law School - Torts Lecture at invitation of Prof. Jon Hanson, Oct 22, 2010
- Skilex-Europe - Keynote Speaker 2007, 2011
- Thompson G. Marsh American Inn of Court - Past-president, Historian, Master level
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law - Frequent Speaker
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, Denver (2022)
- Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, Denver (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Super Lawyers - since 2006, Top 100/Colorado 2012 & 2013
- "Superb Rated Attorney" 10/10 by AVVO since 2011
- "Alfred C. Harrell Award in Recognition of Professionalism, Service and Excellence" by the Thompson G. Marsh American Inn of Court, 1999-2000
- Attorney Coach, Colorado Bar Association High School Mock Trial, 2007-2011, 2013. State champion 2008.
- Pro Bono Achievement Award, Colorado Supreme Court, 2011-2012
- Volunteer Attorney: Colorado Legal Services; United States District Court civil pro bono project; Denver Bar Assn. El Centro.
- Member of the Judicial Nominating Commission for the 1st Judicial District, by appointment by the Colorado Supreme Court, 2002-2007.
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100
- 5280 Magazine, Top Lawyer – Personal Injury: Plaintiff since 2014
- Best Lawyers, since 2015, Legal Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Colorado Law Week Barristers Best, Best Personal Injury Lawyer, Peoples’ Choice 2018, Editors’ Choice 2017
- The 5280 Faces of Trial Lawyers Denver and Boulder 2019
- The 5280 Faces of Trial Lawyers 2020
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.