Recognized since 2014
Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
Jim Chalat is proud to have been named to Best Lawyers in the fields of professional malpractice and personal injury. Jim was first named to Best Lawyers in 2014, and has appeared in every edition since. Best Lawyers named Jim as the 2017 Lawyer of the Year in Denver for Plaintiff's Professional Malpractice law, and was also named in 2022 as Lawyer of the Year in Plaintiffs' Legal Malpractice Law - Denver.
Jim was admitted to practice in Colorado in 1977. He is a member of the American Board of Trial Advocates, Board Certified in civil trial advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. He is a sustaining member of the American Association for Justice and the Colorado Trial Lawyers Association.
Mr. Chalat’s work has allowed him to engage with a diverse range of clients, from a profoundly disabled son of Hispanic American farm laborers, to Olympic Athletes, urban office workers, physicians, and elite business people.
His commitment to his clients and his success in the courtroom has not gone unrecognized. Jim has been selected for the Colorado SuperLawyers list each year that members of the Colorado Bar have been considered for the distinction. Since 2015, Denver's premier magazine 5280 has named him as one of only five "Top Denver Lawyers" in the personal injury category.
Mr. Chalat is an active member of the community investing time in pro bono case work, law school lectures (Harvard Law School and his alma mater the University of Denver Sturm College of Law), and youth mentoring. Each year, the firm receives the Colorado Supreme Court’s Pro Bono Achievement Award which requires each attorney to volunteer more than 40 hours annually to matters benefiting financially disadvantaged clients. Jim has also volunteered for the Colorado State Bar Association’s high school mock trial program and was active for over 20 years in the Inns of Court in Denver, an organization focused on legal ethics and professionalism.
Born in California, raised in Detroit, and educated at the University of Michigan and the University of Denver College of Law, Mr. Chalat has settled in Colorado. He is father to four grown children and husband to fellow law partner, Linda Chalat.Jim Chalat is a senior partner at Chalat Hatten & Banker PC. He represents personal injury victims, families who have suffered from wrongful death cases and handles complex litigation involving car and truck accidents, ski cases, and malpractice cases. Let his experience work for you.
- 1600 Broadway, Suite 1920
Denver, CO 80202
- University of Denver, J.D., graduated 1977
- University of Michigan, B.G.S., graduated 1974
- Colorado, Colorado Bar Association
- Michigan, State Bar of Michigan
- American Bar Association - Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates - Associate, Leadership track 2021-2024
- American Inns of Court, Thompson G. Marsh Inn of Court - Past-president, Master-level
- Colorado Bar Association - Member, Fellow Colorado Bar Foundation
- Colorado Trial Lawyers Association - Board of Directors, 1996-2000, frequent speaker
- Faculty of Federal Advocates - Board of Directors, 2007-2011, Treasurer 2009-2011
- Harvard Law School - Torts Lecture at invitation of Prof. Jon Hanson, Oct 22, 2010
- Skilex-Europe - Keynote Speaker 2007, 2011
- University of Denver Sturm College of Law - Adjunct, lecturer
- Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, Denver (2022)
- Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs, Denver (2017)
- Legal Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Medical Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Professional Malpractice Law - Plaintiffs
- Super Lawyers - since 2006, Top 100/Colorado 2012 & 2013
- "Superb Rated Attorney" 10/10 by AVVO since 2011
- "Alfred C. Harrell Award in Recognition of Professionalism, Service and Excellence" by the Thompson G. Marsh American Inn of Court, 1999-2000
- Attorney Coach, Colorado Bar Association High School Mock Trial, 2007-2011, 2013. State champion 2008.
- Pro Bono Achievement Award, Colorado Supreme Court, 2011-2012
- Volunteer Attorney: Colorado Legal Services; United States District Court civil pro bono project; Denver Bar Assn. El Centro.
- Member of the Judicial Nominating Commission for the 1st Judicial District, by appointment by the Colorado Supreme Court, 2002-2007.
- National Trial Lawyers, Top 100
- 5280 Magazine, Top Lawyer – Personal Injury: Plaintiff since 2014
- Best Lawyers, since 2015, Legal Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Medical Malpractice Law – Plaintiffs, Personal Injury Litigation – Plaintiffs
- Colorado Law Week Barristers Best, Best Personal Injury Lawyer, Peoples’ Choice 2018, Editors’ Choice 2017
- The 5280 Faces of Trial Lawyers Denver and Boulder 2019
- The 5280 Faces of Trial Lawyers 2020
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.