- Appeared as counsel in proceedings under the CCAA, involving A.G. Simpson, Alloy Wheels Industrial, Algoma Steel, Anvil Range Mining, Bramalea, the Canadian Red Cross, Central Capital, Elks, Royal Oak Mines, Stelco Inc. and United Keno Hill Mines.
- Counsel for the receiver of the Portus Group. As a result of Portus' collapse, over 26,000 investors were owed in excess of $790 million. The Receiver recovered over 95 cents on every dollar of their claims.
- Has represented the vast majority of the Receivers of securities firms in Ontario.
- Counsel to the Receiver and Bankruptcy Trustee of an insolvent pulp and paper mill, in a case involving the divestiture provisions of the BIA.
- Counsel to the Receiver of Blockbuster Canada, in an orderly liquidation of approximately 440 stores with significant cross-border issues
- Counsel for the Ontario Securites Commission in the insolvency proceedings of Sino-Forest Corporation
- Regularly advises the Ontario Securities Commission on insolvency matters and has represented the Securities and Exchange Commission in a cross-border proceeding
Jim was the founding chairman and is currently one of the three co-chairs of the Gold Medal Plates fundraiser for Canada's Olympic athletes. The event raises funds for the Own the Podium programme, which was instrumental in Team Canada's success at the Vancouver, London and Sochi Olympic Games.
Jim is a member of the insolvency section of the Ontario Bar Association, INSOL International and the Insolvency Institute of Canada.