James G. "Jim" DeJong
Recognized in:Corporate LawMergers and Acquisitions Law...
Firm's Phone Number:
Location:111 East Wisconsin Avenue, Suite 1400Milwaukee, WI 53202
Jim is the firm’s Chairman Emeritus and a member of the Business Law and Mergers and Acquisitions Practice Groups. Jim’s business law practice is diverse. He is experienced in successfully guiding clients through a wide variety of matters from forming and financing business entities to negotiating and documenting complex business transactions. He frequently represents buyers and sellers of businesses. Jim also has extensive experience working with clients on corporate governance matters.
- Wisconsin, State Bar of Wisconsin
- Association for Corporate Growth, Wisconsin - Member
- Carroll University - Chair of the Board of Trustees
- Crossroads Presbyterian Church - Ordained Elder
- Friends of Art of the Milwaukee Art Mueseum - Former Board Member
- Milwaukee Repertory Theater - Former Board Member
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Corporate Law
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law
- Securities / Capital Markets Law
- Recipient of an AV Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5.0 rating by Martindale-Hubbell
- Recipient of the 2019 P.E. MacAllister Distinguished Alumnus Award, presented by Carroll University
- Named one of “Milwaukee’s Leading Lawyers” in 2013, 2014, and 2015–Business, M Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in Wisconsin Super Lawyers in 2005–2020 Law & Politics and Milwaukee Magazine
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America® in 2010–2021–Corporate Law, Mergers & Acquisitions Law, Securities/Capital Markets Law
Jim Assists Clients With
- Purchasing and selling businesses
- Private equity, venture capital and debt financing
- Contract negotiation and preparation
- Business development issues including: entity formation, growth, and exit strategies
- Corporate governance matters
- Private offerings of debt and equity securities
- “Update on the Applicability of Sarbanes-Oxley to Private Companies”– Lauber CFOs Roundtable Conference
- “Strategies to Minimize Legal Risk”–Select Circle of Contracting Excellence Customer Business Conference
- “Current Status of the Law Regarding Non-Compete and Confidentiality Agreements”–Lauber CFOs Roundtable Conference
- “The Due Diligence Process in Business Acquisitions”–WICPA
- “What Every Business Owner Should Know About Anti-Trust Laws & Restraints of Trade”–Select Circle of Contracting Excellence Customer Business Conference
Lawyer Practice Areas
3 Office Locations
in 1 Country
Lawyer Case History
Examples of Jim's Recent Client Work
- Represented the purchaser in its acquisition of a leading manufacturer of highly technical plastic injection molded components.
- Represented a manufacturer of products for the worldwide foodservice industry in its acquisition of a well-known line of foodservice products.
- Represented a leading provider of peripherals for AC and DC drives in a private equity-backed management buyout.
- Regularly represents a Wisconsin based private equity group in its merger and acquisition activities.
- Represented a manufacturer of heat transfer products with multi-state manufacturing facilities in a private equity-backed management buyout.
- Represented the owners of a company which provides goods to health care facilities in their sale to a private equity-backed management buyout.
Examples of Jim's Recent Client Work (Part 2)
- Represented a management group in its acquisition of a controlling interest in a large wholesale beverage distribution business.
- Represents the board of directors of a mutual insurance company in corporate governance related matters.
- Represented the management group of a large, regional electronic component distribution business in their purchase of the business from a publicly owned buyer.
- Represented the controlling shareholders of a family-owned, multi-state manufacturing and distribution business in resolution of a dispute with a minority shareholder.
- Served as lead attorney representing a multi-national corporation in negotiating and preparing agreements relating to a $400 million project.
- Lead attorney for a telecommunications company in connection with obtaining more than $100 million in venture capital financing.