Jim leverages his unique combination of nearly 30 years of IP experience, business insights and attention to technology trends to help companies develop IP and other legal strategies that are aligned with their business objectives. His practice focuses on all aspects of intellectual property, internet and technology law, including patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret and open source.
Jim advises clients of all sizes (startups to Fortune 100 companies) on key legal and business issues relating to the use of social media, video games, social games and online gambling (gamblification), virtual goods and currency, social networks, virtual worlds, mirror worlds, augmented reality, open source user-generated content, location-based services and gamification.
He regularly advises internet and social media companies on business and legal strategies relating to virtual goods and virtual currency, developing IP protection and monetization strategies, handling terms of service and end user license agreements, development, licensing and partnership agreements, developing DMCA policies, handling DMCA enforcement, privacy and COPPA policies and much more.
Jim's practice is national and international and encompasses a full range of IP and technology issues, including:
- patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret litigation;
- counseling and technology transactions;
- developing and implementing IP strategies to protect and to monetize IP assets;
- creating and implementing corporate IP programs;
- conducting IP audits;conducting complex patent prosecution, including patent appeals, interferences, inter partes review (IPRs), reissues and protests;
- handling patent enforcement issues, including licensing and litigation;
- negotiating and drafting technology agreements;conducting IP due diligence in and negotiating IP aspects of mergers, acquisitions and financings;
- rendering opinions concerning the infringement, validity and enforceability of patents;handling trademark prosecution, domain name, copyright and trade secret matters;
- handling IP aspects of employment issues;
- advising clients on legal issues associated with open source software, including open source patent issues, licensing, open source compatibility issues, indemnity issues and developing and implementing corporate policies on use of open source software;
- advising clients on the legality of cutting-edge internet business methods and technology; and
- advising clients on computer law issues such as computer fraud and abuse and SPAM-related issues.