James C. Baker focuses his practice on the areas of casualty insurance defense, commercial and construction litigation. He has first-chaired more than 120 jury trials to verdict and he has represented clients in more than 300 non-jury trials, arbitrations and mediations.
J.C. speaks regularly on matters regarding trial practice and workers’ compensation, addressing self-insureds, the Arkansas Bar Association, insurance companies and trade and industry associations.Key Matters
- Jones Bros., Inc. v. Whitlock, 366 Ark. 254 (2006)
- Thornton v. Arkansas Valley Electric Cooperative Corp., 95 Ark. App. 151 (Ark. App. 2006)
- CDI Contractors, LLC v. Allbrite Electrical Contractors, Inc.,780 So.2d 963 (Fla. 5th DCA 2001) and on second appeal 836 So.2d 1031 (Fla. 5th DCA 2003)
- Stolze v. Arkansas Valley Electric Cooperative Corp., 354 Ark. 601 (2003)
- Woodline Motor Freight v. Troutman Oil Company, 327 Ark. 448 (1997)
- Johnson v. First Electric Cooperative Corp., 2008.
- Saline County, Arkansas, defense verdict in a wrongful death case arising out of an electrocution
- Cook v. Clarksville Refrigerated Lines, 2006.
- Conway County, Arkansas, defense verdict in a wrongful death and personal injury case arising out of a commercial motor vehicle accident
- DeWeese v. United Parcel Service, 2004.
- Conway County, Arkansas, defense verdict in a wrongful death case arising out of a UPS package car accident and $5,000,000 verdict in favor of UPS driver on his counterclaim against the estate for personal injuries
- ACE Insurance Company
- Arkansas Electric Cooperative, Inc.
- CDI Contractors, LLC
- Cigna Insurance Company
- Entergy Arkansas, Inc.
- Federated Rural Electric Ins. Co.
- Liberty Mutual Insurance Company
- Progressive Northwestern Ins. Co.
- Safeco Insurance Company
- Union Pacific Railroad Company
- United Parcel Service
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law and Personal Injury Litigations - Defendants, since 2011
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Mid-South Super Lawyers
Associations & Memberships
- DRI (formerly Defense Research Institute)
- American Bar Association
- Arkansas Bar Association
- Pulaski County Bar Association
- Arkansas, 1986
- United States Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- United States District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas