Carey's Managing Partner and co-head of the firm's Tax Group. His practice focuses on personal and corporate tax planning, local and international tax consulting, project financing, mergers and acquisitions, leasing and foreign investment transactions.
Activities and Memberships
- Member of the International Bar Association (IBA): Chair of the Legal Practice Division (2017- 2018); Member of the Management Board; Past Chair and member of the Advisory Board of the Latin American Regional Forum; Past Co-Chair of the Corporate and M&A Section; Member of the Advisory Board of the Law Firm Management Committee.
- Member of the Board of Sencorp, Banmédica (UnitedHealth Group) and Evercrisp (Frito Lay Chile), and chairman of the Board of MetLife Chile.
- Director of Interlex.
- President of The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Chile, an entity in process of constitution.
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Chairman, World Services Group (2004-2005).
- Assistant Professor of Taxation, Universidad Católica de Chile Law School (1981).
- Foreign associate, Steel, Hector & Davis, Miami (1979).
- Semi-finalist, Philip C. Jessup International Law Moot Court Competition, Washington D.C. (1978).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter in China Trade and investment in Latin America, The Legal 500 Guide (2020).
- Co-author of the Chilean Chapter of Corporate Tax, Global Practice Guides, Chambers & Partners (2016).
- Co-author of the introductory article "Mergers and Acquisitions in Chile: Approaching the Controlling Shareholder", Who’s Who Legal (2014).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of "Tax on Inbound Investment", Getting The Deal Through (2011 - 2013).
- Frequent lecturer in legal seminars, meetings and conferences both in Chile and abroad.