Recognized since 2007
Palo Alto, California
Criminal Defense: White-Collar
Litigation - Securities
Jack DiCanio’s litigation practice focuses on complex litigation, white collar defense, securities litigation and special corporate investigations. Mr. DiCanio has extensive trial experience representing corporate and individual clients in a variety of civil and criminal actions involving:
- internal corporate investigations;
- federal and state securities litigation, including broker/dealer liability;
- securities fraud, including allegations of accounting improprieties, material misrepresentations and insider trading;
- health care investigations/litigation, including allegations of Medicare/Medi-Cal fraud;
- environmental litigation; and
- intellectual property litigation.
Mr. DiCanio co-defended William J. Ruehle, the former CFO of Broadcom, in the largest stock options backdating case brought by the federal government. After an eight-week trial, the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California dismissed all charges, including the entire SEC complaint against all the defendants, including Mr. Ruehle.
Mr. DiCanio served as an assistant United States attorney for the Central District of California. As the deputy chief of the General Crimes Section, he was responsible for training and supervising assistant United States attorneys in federal criminal practice and trial advocacy. During his tenure with the Department of Justice, Mr. DiCanio received the Attorney General’s Distinguished Service Award (the second-highest award within the Department of Justice) and two awards from the Federal Bureau of Investigation for outstanding service. In addition, he has lectured at numerous federal law enforcement agencies regarding the enforcement of federal criminal laws and criminal procedure.
Mr. DiCanio served on the Rampart Independent Review Panel that was responsible for reviewing the policies, tactics and disciplinary procedures of the Los Angeles Police Department. In addition, Mr. DiCanio has been recognized by several legal publications including Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business and The Best Lawyers in America.
Contact & Links
- 525 University Avenue
Palo Alto, CA 94301
- Boston College Law School , graduated 1988
- University of Notre Dame, graduated 1985
- California, The State Bar of California
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, San Jose (2022)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, San Jose (2018)
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar, San Jose (2017)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America® 2022 for work in:
- Litigation - Securities
- Commercial Litigation
- Criminal Defense: White-Collar
- Civil Litigation
- White-Collar Criminal Defense
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.