A licensed patent attorney in the MVA Intellectual Property group, Mark Wilson focuses his practice on intellectual property litigation and other complex business cases.
Mark possesses extensive experience litigating patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret disputes, as well as counseling clients in obtaining, protecting, licensing and enforcing intellectual property. He has litigated intellectual property cases in wide-ranging industries and arts, including cases dealing with mechanical, chemical and electrical arts and Internet technologies. Mark also regularly litigates complex business matters, such as contract and unfair competition cases, and other commercial disputes involving the licensing, use or sale of intellectual property and related technologies.
While Mark is based in MVA's Charlotte office, his litigation practice is national in scope. Mark has litigated cases throughout the country, including courts in North Carolina, Texas, Illinois, Florida, Delaware, New York, Tennessee, Oklahoma, Mississippi, Georgia, California and Virginia, as well as in specialized tribunals such as the International Trade Commission, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the Patent Office Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences, the National Arbitration Forum and the Copyright Office Board of Review.
Mark came to MVA in 2007 as a partner after practicing law for nine years in the intellectual property group at Alston & Bird.
- Significant experience as lead counsel in patent, copyright, trademark, trade secret, and technology license litigation.
- Represents large, medium and small companies in important business litigation matters.
- Many years of experience in a patent infringement cases involving divergent technologies, from consumer products and medical devices to electrical components and Internet-based applications.
- Regularly represents clients as plaintiffs and defendants in federal and state court cases.
- Represented clients at hundreds of depositions, mediations, court hearings, and trial.
- Favorably resolved many cases prior to trial through sound litigation strategy.
- Lead counsel in patent litigation cases for a nationally recognized propane tank exchange company.
- Represented one of the top ten independent jewelers in America in a trademark matter.
- Lead counsel in copyright matters involving fabric designs for a renowned textile company.
- Lead counsel in complex commercial litigation for a diversified global provider of highly engineered products and services.
- Lead counsel in breach of contract and fraud case for a leading information technology company providing managed satellite network services.
- Represented an online mortgage and loan pricing software provider in a breach of contract case that was successfully resolved at the preliminary injunction stage without any injunctive relief being entered against our client.
- Represented product supplier in a trademark and trade secret case that was successfully resolved after expedited discovery and preliminary injunction hearing.
- Author, numerous articles on current issues in patent law, including patent claim construction and evolving nature of patent litigants
- Frequently quoted in various publications, such as Law360 and InsideCounsel, for his experience in intellectual property litigation
- Graduate, Mecklenburg County Bar Leadership Institute
- Former chair, Young Lawyers Section of the Mecklenburg County Bar
- Served as Editor in Chief of the University of Cincinnati Law Review
- Admitted to practice in the State of North Carolina and before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, and numerous United States District Courts