Chuck Dougherty's practice is focused on intellectual property and technology issues. He prepares and prosecutes patent applications, federal and state trademark registration applications and copyright registration applications. For those clients with international portfolios, he oversees and coordinates foreign filings with local counsel in appropriate jurisdictions. He also assists clients with licensing and other issues related to the protection of their intellectual property. In addition, he represents clients in adversarial matters involving intellectual property, including opposition and cancellation proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, litigation matters in federal and state courts and domain name arbitration proceedings administered through ICANN.
Some of Dougherty's more recent experience includes:
- Intellectual property counsel and portfolio manager for one of the world's largest marketing services company.
- Intellectual property counsel for several universities and colleges.
- Trademark counsel for a charitable foundation with worldwide operations.
- Intellectual property counsel for a large, regional electric utility provider.
- Trademark counsel for a leading national food products company.
- Patent and trademark counsel for numerous start-up companies in various technological fields, including software, nanotechnology and biomedical applications.