Ian Sandison is a Partner in the firm's Honolulu office, concentrating his practice in the areas of environmental law, administrative law, and land use. He routinely represents businesses, landowners
Defended clients in federal, state, and citizen enforcement actions involving NPDES,
Defended and resolved significant federal and state enforcement actions brought under the Clean Air Act. Assisted clients in obtaining non-covered source, covered source, and PSD permits. Counseled and defended clients with asbestos laws and regulations.
Underground Storage Tanks
Defended administrative enforcement actions regarding alleged noncompliance with underground storage tank regulations. Evaluated and counseled clients with underground storage tank compliance programs involving substantial retail gasoline operations on all the major Hawaiian islands.
Represented large and small quantity generators of hazardous waste in enforcement, compliance, and remedial actions. Assisted clients regarding federal and state solid waste management issues including permitting, enforcement actions, and contested cases.
Represented clients in
Toxic Substances and EPCRA
Defended federal enforcement actions concerning alleged PCB and EPCRA violations
Environmental Impact Statements
Assisted clients in the preparation and defense of environmental impact statements and environmental assessments.
Endangered Species Act
Drafted and negotiated Hawaii's first safe harbor agreement under the Endangered Species Act.
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business 2018 for Environment
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business since for Real Estate: Zoning/Land Use
- Named to Best Lawyers in America 2018 for Administrative / Regulatory Law; Environmental Law
- Named Honolulu Lawyer of the Year 2015--Environmental Law--Hawaii by The Best Lawyers in America; listed in the publication since 2005
- Selected by attorney peers for inclusion in Super Lawyers 2018 for Environmental Law
- University of Hawaii School of Law, Adjunct Faculty in Environmental Law
- Hawaii Chamber of Commerce; Chair, Environmental Affairs CommitteeHawaii State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- American Society of Civil Engineers
- Founding member of the Hawaii Chapter of the American Society of Civil Engineers' Sustainability Committee