Recognized since 1997
Des Moines, Iowa
Banking and Finance Law
Financial Services Regulation Law
Howard Hagen practices primarily in banking law. For over 25 years he has counseled banks in virtually every Iowa county on such issues as regulation, acquisitions and various corporate and shareholder matters that have confronted banks in both good and troubled times. Howard also has served as counsel to the Community Bankers of Iowa for more than 20 years. He currently serves as a member of the American Bar Association Banking Law Committee. Earlier in his career, Howard served in the public sector as Assistant Attorney General and General Counsel to the Iowa Division of Banking.
Contact & Links
- 699 Walnut Street, Suite 1600
Des Moines, IA 50309
- University of Chicago, JD, graduated 1973
- Grinnell College, BA, graduated 1970
- Iowa, American Bar Association
- Iowa, Iowa State Bar Association
- Iowa, Polk County Bar Association
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Financial Services Regulation Law, Des Moines (2016)
- Banking and Finance Law, Des Moines (2014)
- Financial Services Regulation Law, Des Moines (2012)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Banking and Finance Law
- Financial Services Regulation Law
"The depth and breadth of Howard Hagen's knowledge regarding banking issues is of great value. His problem solving, not just a commitment to research, begins with the first contact. Issues are clearly explained and options are effectively presented by him. Throughout the process, Howard is very accessible and responsive to questions, allowing us to proceed with confidence."
- Ted Vonderhaar (Pilot Grove Savings Bank), Pilot Grove, IA
"Mr. Hagen is a very thoughtful and caring advocate when the client is in a tough situation."
- Jim Whitmore (Okey-Vernon First National Bank)
"Howard is a very creative thinker. He likes to review and discuss "big picture" issues. I enjoy working with him."
- George Schneidermann (Rock Rivers Bancorp), Rock Rapids, IA
"Howard Hagen is extremely knowledgeable in the banking field. He has many good sources of contact with regulators and has excellent relationships with them. This is a big help from a banker's perspective in being able to sort through many of the hoops we must go through for applications and rulings. Howard does an outstanding job for us."
- Tony Kaska (Midwest Heritage Bank), Des Moines, IA
"Mr. Howard Hagen has always been extremely responsive to all inquiries, creative in his handlings of all legal matters, and efficient in every issue I have presented to him. His standing in banking/financial law matters is exemplary."
- Fred Hagemann (Cedar Investment Company), Waverly, IA
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.