Howard Berlin brings more than 25 years of experience representing corporate debtors, secured lenders, creditors’ committees, and individual creditors in complex restructuring and insolvency proceedings.
Prior to joining Berger Singerman, Mr, Berlin was the Managing Director for Kluger, Peretz, Kaplan, & Berlin where he lead the firm’s strategic and operational matters. Berlin is a former Chair of the Bankruptcy/UCC Committee of the Business Law Section of The Florida Bar and a former Chair of the Business Law Section of The Florida Bar. While Chair of the Business Law Section, Berlin advanced the development of the Complex Business Courts in the Florida Circuit Courts, and today there are three such divisions throughout the State, including in Miami Dade and Broward Counties. Most notably in the Chapter 11 reorganization of Piper Aircraft Corporation, Mr. Berlin worked closely with creditors and Piper management for four years. Assisted creditors recover 100 percent of their claims and created a new Piper enterprise that thrives again.
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1979
- George Washington University, B.A., 1976
- Circuit Court Mediation Training
Program Bar Admissions & Memberships
- Florida, 1979
- U.S. District Court, Northern, Southern and Middle Districts of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- Super Lawyers, Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2007, 2008
- Top Lawyers in South Florida, South Florida Legal Guide 2007, 2010
- The Best Lawyers in America, Bankruptcy and Creditor, Debtor Rights Law, 2009-2010
- Florida Trend Magazine, Legal Elite,
- Best of the Bar, South Florida Business Law Journal
- America's Leading Lawyers for Business, Chambers USA, Guide to the World's Leading Insolvency and Restructuring Lawyers
- Florida Bar, Business Law Section, Chair, 1999-2000
- Florida Bar, Bankruptcy U.C.C. Committee, former Chair
- The City of Bal Harbour, Florida, Mayor 2001-2003, 2007-2009, Councilman 2003-2005 and Assistant Mayor 2005-2007.
Presentations & Publications
- "Assignments for the Benefit of Creditors," 1987 revisions to Ch. 727 of the Florida Statutes, co-author