Mori Hamada & Matsumoto
Recognized since 2021
Privacy and Data Security Law
- Hiroyuki Tanaka is a Partner of Mori Hamada & Matsumoto, practicing data, IP, IT, and AI law.
- He is the Adjunct project professor at Keio University Graduate School of Law and Member of the Cyber-Physical Sustainability Center of Keio University Global Research Institute
- He has extensive experience advising foreign clients on Japanese data protection law. He is also familiar with global data protection regulations, including GDPR and CCPA / CPRA and helps Japanese clients with global data protection compliance by working closely with local counsels.
- His practice area includes legal issues relating to AI, including generative AI and the protection of cybernetic avatars.
- He has extensive experience for various IP infringement disputes as well as disputes related to IT including software and apps.
- Marunouchi Park Building 16th Floor
2-6-1 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku
- Gender: Male
- New York University, LL.M. in Competition, Innovation, and Information Law, graduated 2013
- Keio University Law School, J.D., graduated 2006
- Keio University, LL.B, graduated 2004
- New York, New York State Bar Association, 2014
- Japan, Dai-ni Tokyo Bar Association, 2007
- Technology Law
- Privacy and Data Security Law
- National Leader in Data practice area in" Who′s Who Legal: Japan 2022”
- Top 5 Best Performing Lawyer (as selected by companies) in the Data area by the “15th Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey” published by Nikkei Inc.(Japan)
- Best Performing Lawyer in the Intellectual Property area by the “18th Corporate Legal Affairs and Lawyer Survey” published by Nikkei Inc.(Japan)
- Leading lawyer in Asia in the Intellectual Property area by the "Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2023" (asialaw PROFILES)
- Intellectual Property Law
- Information Technology Law
- Telecommunications Law
- Gaming Law
- Adjunct project professor at Keio University Graduate School of Law (2023-)
- Member of the Cyber-Physical Sustainability Center of Keio University Global Research Institute (2023-)
- Advisor to Japan DPO Association (2019-)
Recent Major Publications
- What does Japan‘s External Data Transmission Rule mean? (Co-authored, 2023)
- Practical notes for Japan's important updates of the APPI guidelines and Q&As (Co-authored, 2022)
- Practical notes for Japan's amended APPI: How to amend privacy notices (Co-authored, 2021)
- Chambers Global Practice Guides Data Protection & Privacy - Japan Chapter (Co-authored, 2023)
- Mondaq Comparative Guides - Data Privacy - Japan Chapter (Co-authored, 2021)
- The Technology Disputes Law Review2nd Edition (Co-edited and co-authored,2022)
- Chambers Global Practice Guides Cybersecurity - Japan Chapter (Co-authored, 2023)
- Mondaq Comparative Guides Cybersecurity - Japan Chapter (Co-authored, 2020)
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.