Harrison Yoss devotes his practice to the representation of insurers in coverage and extra contractual litigation in state and federal courts throughout the State of Texas and the Southwest.
Harrison has represented insurers on hundreds of coverage and bad faith claims handling disputes with insureds under general liability and excess/umbrella policies, professional liability policies, homeowners and commercial property/inland marine policies, directors and officers liability policies, workers' compensation policies, and life, health, accidental death and disability policies. He has also represented numerous insurers in large commercial property insurance cases involving Hurricane Rita and Ike, as well as significant hail and wind storms throughout Texas. He has also tried and handled on appeal numerous bad faith, Stowers and coverage lawsuits in state and federal courts throughout Texas.
Harrison has assisted insurers in drafting language for commercial general liability, errors and omissions and commercial property insurance policies.
In addition, Harrison has presented speeches and papers on insurance issues for adjusters and lawyers at in-house training and at continuing education seminars.
| Representative Experience
- Favorable resolution of several large commercial property insurance lawsuits involving Hurricane Rita and Ike.
- Favorable resolution of many commercial property claims arising from hail and wind storms in Texas and Arizona, either through the appraisal process or litigation.
- Obtained defense verdict defending a commercial auto insurer in a bench trial regarding the application of a named driver exclusion in a wrongful death case.
- Defended umbrella insurer in a $43,000,000 Stowers lawsuit resulting in amicable settlement during jury trial.
- Defended workers' compensation insurer in bad faith jury trial resulting in no damages.
- Defended workers' compensation insurer in bad faith jury trial resulting in amicable settlement during appeal process.
- Obtained summary judgment for insurer on accidental death ERISA claim involving employee’s drowning.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment for insurer on state law claims for accidental death claim resulting from death while on a common carrier.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment for liability insurer based on application of worker's compensation exclusion to injury claim by employee of a non-subscribing employer.
- Obtained Texas Supreme Court opinion overruling trial court on certified question from the Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals regarding insurer’s liability for $1,000,000 default judgment against former employee of insured.
- Drafted language of CGL and errors and omissions policies issued to association providing international scuba diving instruction.
- Obtained plea to the jurisdiction and summary judgment on behalf of worker’s compensation insurer on bad faith claim where claimant failed to exhaust administrative remedies.
- Obtained defense verdict in federal jury trial on UM/UIM claim where tortfeasor driver rear ended plaintiff.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment on behalf of liability insurer based on denial of defense due to late notice.
- Obtained federal court summary judgment on behalf of liability insurer on securities errors and omissions claim due to insured’s failure to satisfy condition precedent to coverage.
- Authored over 500 coverage opinion letters to clients