He specializes in corporate law with an emphasis on mergers and acquisitions, including advising and participating in public and private company mergers and acquisitions; advising and participating in corporate finance transactions such as private placements and public financings, including initial public offering of securities; and advising and participating in corporate reorganizations, international joint ventures, mergers and divestitures for both closely and widely held corporations.
John is the client relationship partner for BLG Adroit: the Firm’s project management and legal process improvement program.
- Advised Bell Canada on its joint venture with the Cirque du Soleil.
- Acted for the independent directors of KP Tissue Inc. in connection with its initial public offering of securities.
- Acted for lead underwriter, TD Securities, in connection with a $50 million offering of preferred share securities by Innergex Renewable Energy Inc.
- Advised The Co-operators Group Limited in connection with its $306.5-million public acquisition of Addenda Capital Inc.
- Acted for the Independent Committee of Trustees of Medisys Health Income Fund in connection with the fund’s going private transaction.
- Advised lead underwriters, BMO Nesbitt Burns and CIBC World Markets, in the $115-million initial public offering of securities of Innergex Renewable Energy Inc.
- Advised the Government of Newfoundland and Labrador in connection with its purchase of rights in an undersea fibre-optic network between Newfoundland and Nova Scotia.
- Acted for Miranda Technologies Inc., a global developer and manufacturer of hardware and software for the television broadcast industry, on its $156-million initial public offering and secondary offering of securities.
- Advised MAAX Inc. in connection with its $640-million successful public auction and sale process.
- Advised BMO Nesbitt Burns and TD Securities in the initial public offering of fund units of Innergex Power Income Fund.
- Advised Bell Canada and Bell Nordiq Income Fund in the fund's $326-million initial public offering of units.
Publications and Presentations
- Speaker, “La gestion de projet : mode de facturation alternatif”, Congrès du Barreau du Québec, June 2012.
- Panel Chair, “Demonstrating In-House Counsel Business Value in the International Context,” Canadian Corporate Counsel Association World Summit, April 2012.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “The Negotiation and Drafting of Commercial Agreements,” Insight Information Eighth Edition, January 2011.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Legal and Business Guide on International and Crossborder Contracts,” The Canadian Institute Conference, April 2010.
- Speaker, “Creating a Due Diligence Framework,” Federated Press Due Diligence Conferences, November 2007 & April 2008.
- Speaker, “Securities and Capital Market’s Agreements,” Federated Press Drafting and Negotiating Business Contracts, May 22-23, 2007.
- Speaker, “Complexities of Foreign Joint Ventures,” Insight Information Joint Venture Conference, December 6-7, 2006.
- Co-Chair and Speaker, “Liability of Directors and Officers in Public Company Mergers and Acquisitions,” The Canadian Institute Mergers and Acquisitions Conference, October 2006.
- Speaker, “Unitholder Liability,” The Canadian Institute Conference on Income Trusts, March 2005.
- Panel Chair, “Maximizing Relations with Outside Law Firms,” The Canadian Institute In-House Legal Counsel Conferences, February 2004 & 2005.
- Speaker, “Management and Protection of Confidential Information in Merger and Acquisition Transactions,” The Canadian Institute Advanced Seminars on Mergers and Acquisitions, October 2004 & 2005.
Rankings and Recognitions
- Rankings & Recognitions Selected by peers for inclusion in the 2013 edition of The Best Lawyers in Canada® (Corporate Law, Mergers and Acquisitions Law).
- Recognized in the 2012 edition of The Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory (Consistently recommended for Corporate mid-market and repeatedly recommended in Biotechnology, Corporate Commercial Law, Corporate Finance & Securities, Mergers & Acquisitions and Private Equity).
- Martindale-Hubbell® BV® Distinguished™ 4.4 out of 5 Peer Review Rated.