Recognized since 2012
Washington, District of Columbia
Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
Trusts and Estates
Designed and implemented pre-IPO estate planning that used GST-tax exempt trusts, GRATs and other grantor trusts funded with carried interests in LLCs as well as traditional LLC interests. Worked extensively with real estate attorneys, securities attorneys, lenders, investment bankers and accountants to design an estate plan that would not interfere with the proposed IPO.
Prior to sale of French company owned through U.S. limited partnerships and LLCs, established GRATs to benefit children and a CLUT with the family foundation receiving the lead interest and a GST-exempt trust receiving the remainder. Worked with French attorneys and IRS to obtain reduced tax withholding rates for GRATs under U.S.-French Income Tax Convention.
Helped U.S. beneficiary reduce income taxes after becoming successor beneficiary of foreign non-grantor trusts with decades of undistributed net income, as well as investments in foreign corporations that constituted PFICs, CFCs and/or FPHCs for U.S. income tax purposes.
- 1717 K Street, NW, Suite 600
Washington, DC 20006-5343
- Harvard University, AB, graduated 1991
- District of Columbia, The District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia, Virginia State Bar
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel - Fellow
- Bloomberg BNA Tax & Accounting - Advisory Board Member
- Georgetown University Law Center - Adjunct Professor
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law, Washington, D.C. (2023)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Closely Held Companies and Family Businesses Law
- Tax Law
- Trusts and Estates
- Estate Planning
- Income Tax
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.