artner of Carey and co-head of the firm’s Intellectual Property and Information Technology, and Venture Capital and Private Equity Groups. Also, he is the head of the Life Sciences Group.
His practice specializes in intellectual property, life sciences, IP litigation, licensing, distribution and franchise agreement, data privacy, technology law, trademarks, patents, electronic commerce, technology transfer and data protection.
Guillermo has advised high-impact Chilean technology companies on technology transfer, and the internationalization of these. He is currently the Chief Legal Counsel of Crystal Lagoons.
He has also advised the Chilean Government on various fronts related to IP and transfer of technology.
Activities and Memberships
- Chairman of the American Chilean Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) (2017-2018).
- Member of the board of the American Chilean Chamber of Commerce (AmCham) (2014-2016).
- Counselor at Endeavor.
- Member of the Inter-American Association of Intellectual Property (ASIPI).
- Member of the International Trademark Association (INTA).
- Member of the Licensing Executives Society Chile (LES Chile).
- Member of the Chilean Bar Association.
- Former member of “Grupo Acción Digital”, part of the Chilean government plan for the development of Chile’s digital agenda (appointed by the government).
- Former Vice-President of the National Council for Domain Names and IP Addresses of Chile.Former member of the Board of the Chilean Industrial Property Association (ACHIPI).
- Former member of the National Consulting Council of the Computer Law Studies Center (Centro de Estudios de Derecho Informático, CEDI), School of Law, Universidad de Chile.
- Assistant Secretary General of AIPPI (International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property) with responsibility over the Americas (2004 – 2010).
- Intellectual Property Constituency’s Representative, Names Council of the Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) of ICANN (Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers) (2000-2002).
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) panelist for the resolution of domain name disputes (2002).
- Chair of the Q-160 ICANN Task Force, AIPPI (2002).
- Arbitrator, Chilean Country Code Name Registrar (NIC Chile) (1998).
- Member of NIC Chile’s advisory board. Part of the group that drafted the local dispute resolution policy (1998).
- Lawyer, Intellectual Property Department, Philip Morris International, New York (1995-1996).
- Co-author of the Chilean chapter of Data Protection Q&A, Data Privacy Advisor, Thomson Reuters (2018).
- Author of several local and foreign publications in intellectual property.
- Frequent lecturer in Intellectual Property and Internet legal seminars, meetings and conferences both in Chile and abroad.