Recognized since 2015
Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law
Grant is a leading practitioner in the areas of insolvency, restructuring and banking law, with a particular emphasis on the exercise of creditors’ rights. He frequently acts for chartered banks, insurance companies and other financial institutions and as independent counsel to court officers, such as receivers, bankruptcy trustees and monitors in CCAA proceedings.
- Acting as counsel to counsel to PwC as Court-appointed receiver and manager of Bridging Finance Inc. and its related funds.
- Acting as insolvency counsel to the Province of British Columbia on behalf of a class of Canadian governments in connection with the CCAA recognition proceeding for the Purdue Pharma Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Acting as insolvency counsel for a putative class of Canadian claimants in the CCAA recognition proceeding for the LTL Management Chapter 11 proceeding.
- Advised the DIP Lender and plan sponsor in the CCAA proceeding for the Bloom Lake and Wabush Mines.
- Acted as the court-appointed representative counsel to the Redstone Capital Corporation investors in connection with a motion to substantively consolidate the estates of three related Redstone entities.
- Advising the Monitor in the CCAA proceeding for the Valle Foam Industries group of companies, manufacturers of foam products and defendants in a series of class actions commenced in Canada and the United States.
- Advising the Monitor in the CCAA proceeding for Olympus United Funds Corp., commenced by its court-appointed Receiver to implement a multi-million dollar settlement with the company’s former auditors.
- Advising the court-appointed Receiver of the Norshield group of companies, part of a hedge fund investment structure which raised more than $130 million from retail investors in Canada and involves cross-border proceedings in the United States, Barbados and the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
- Advised the senior secured lender and DIP Lender in the CCAA proceedings for Co-op Atlantic.
- Advised the DIP Lender in the CCAA proceedings for U. S. Steel Canada Inc.
- Advised Marriott Hotels of Canada Ltd., the former operator of the Red Leaves resort hotel and condominium development in Minett, Ontario, in connection with the receivership of The Rosseau Resort Developments Inc.
Grant is a speaker and writer for various professional associations in matters relating to insolvency law and is a contributor to the Lexis Practice Advisor (Asset Purchase Agreements).
Grant is a member of:
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Canadian Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Turnaround Management Association
- INSOL International
- Canadian Insolvency Foundation
- Insolvency Law Section of the Ontario Bar Association
Grant is recognized in:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2022 and prior years (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring)
- Chambers Canada Guide 2022 and prior years (Restructuring/Insolvency)
- Who's Who Legal - National Leader – Restructuring & Insolvency 2021
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2021 and prior years (Litigation Star in Ontario)
- Chambers Global 2021 Guide and prior years (Restructuring/Insolvency)
- Who's Who Legal Canada 2020 (Restructuring & Insolvency)
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2021 and prior years (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring)
- Euromoney Expert Guides 2021 and prior years (Restructuring and Insolvency)
- Lawyer Page: https://www.tgf.ca/people/bio/grant-b.-moffat
- 100 Wellington Street West. Suite 3200
P.O. Box 329
Toronto, ON M5K 1K7
- Ontario, 1991
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.