Mr. DeConti has more than 30 years of experience practicing intellectual property law and specializes in intellectual property strategy in biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, and chemistry. His technical specialties include drugs, proteins, peptides and antibodies (monoclonal antibodies), nucleic acids (siRNA), small organic molecules, drug discovery technology, recombinant DNA, and genomics.
Mr. DeConti works interactively with clients to build strong patent portfolios that protect the commercialization of biological, pharmaceutical, and chemical products and related technologies. He has extensive experience in IP due diligence, patentability, validity and infringement opinions, licensing, and the preparation and prosecution of patents. He brings this experience to each client relationship to help create and implement optimal strategies for creating strong patent portfolios and securing worldwide protection of a client’s intellectual property. Mr. DeConti currently serves as the Chair of the firm’s Intellectual Property Division.
Prior to joining Lathrop & Gage, Mr. DeConti spent 20 years with Lahive & Cockfield, where he was a partner and served as Chair of the firm’s Executive Committee from 2001-2007.
His notable experience includes:
- Counseling life science companies in developing and implementing intellectual property strategies, through all phases of their development from start-up to maturity, through private and public financing, and in the formation of corporate partnerships and alliances.
- Working with life science companies to protect new drugs and drug discovery technology, and to provide evaluations of intellectual property in connection with partnerships and collaborations, and with the acquisition or licensing of intellectual property assets.
- Extensive experience counseling start-up and early stage companies in developing the infrastructure necessary to build and protect intellectual property assets.
- Advising investors such as venture capitalists and investment bankers in evaluating intellectual property assets held by prospective candidates for investment.
- Represents multinational pharmaceutical and biotechnology companies in developing strategies for worldwide patent protection