George S. Lawler
- Maryland, 1978
- Maryland State Bar Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers for:
- Venture Capital Law, Baltimore (2016)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers in America for work in:
- Leveraged Buyouts and Private Equity Law
- Venture Capital Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Private Equity
- Private Funds
- Venture Capital
Tell us a little bit about your practice and what makes it unique.
- I have the privilege of working with entrepreneurial clients who are, in many instances, entering into new areas of products and services including tech, bio, cyber, software and others, but also including mainstay industries such as food, manufacturing, retail, real estate, financial and others. I generally act as the outside general counsel for the client entity meaning that I am frequently the gatekeeper for their myriad of possible legal needs and services. In that counseling role, I enjoy learning more about my clients and seeking ways to serve their needs including by seeking out partnering opportunities and identifying other attorneys in my firm who can assist in the growth of our clients.
What common questions are you asked by clients, and what are your answers?
- A common question is how much will something cost. My approach is to seek a flexible billing alternative that meets the needs of each client. For example, I generally seek to review each invoice and make an adjustment if I determine that some of the services could have been provided by one of our attorneys at a lower hourly rate and I then show the reduction as a "courtesy discount" on the monthly invoice.
I try with private placements to defer the collection of invoices for a couple of months to enable the offering to succeed and provide for the payment.
I am also asked what "investment" I am willing to make into a client. I try to not bill for local travel, and I try to provide unbilled attendance at board meetings unless I am called upon to present on a legal matter and some amount of up-front time to become "educated" regarding the new client.
Were there any particular inspirations (people or events) that spurred your interest in your practice area(s)?
- I majored in business at Notre Dame and received my MBA from Northwestern with a concentration in investments and finance. I spent 5 years in a bank trust department managing investment portfolios and attended law school at night. As a result, I chose a corporate and securities practice to enable me to use the accumulated education and experience and to build upon it every day!
Lawyer Practice Areas
209 Fifth Street
Bethany Beach, DE 19930
The Renaissance Centre, Suite 500
405 North King Street
Wilmington, DE 19801-3700
District of Columbia
District of Columbia
1800 M Street, NW, Suite 450-N
Washington, DC 20036
161 North Eagle Creek Drive, Suite 210
Lexington, KY 40509
8830 Stanford Boulevard, Suite 400
Columbia, MD 21045
109 Seventy-Seventh Street
Ocean City, MD 21842
111 Rockville Pike, Suite 800
Rockville, MD 20850
Towson Commons, Suite 300
One West Pennsylvania Avenue
Towson, MD 21204-5025
Fairlane Plaza North, Suite 324
290 Town Center Drive
Dearborn, MI 48126-2739
444 Madison Avenue, Fourth Floor
New York, NY 10022
200 First Avenue, Floor Three
Pittsburgh, PA 15222
3190 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 800
Falls Church, VA 22042-4510
One James Center, Suite 500
901 East Cary Street
Richmond, VA 23219