Recognized since 2003
Banking and Finance Law
International Mergers and Acquisitions
International Trade and Finance Law
Securitization and Structured Finance Law
George Mencio, Jr. is the firm wide Co-Leader of the International and Cross Border Transactions practice group. He practices principally in the areas of corporate and international law, with emphasis on cross-border mergers and acquisitions and joint venture transactions, dispute resolution, and administrative matters relating to international trade and commerce and the transportation industry. His clients include multinational concerns in the transportation, tourism, mining and agricultural sectors, major airlines, cruise lines, software and technology companies, operators and managers of hotel projects, and providers of goods and services in the international arena. Mr. Mencio has extensive experience in mergers, acquisitions and joint ventures; international commercial transactions, such as franchising, distribution and licensing agreements; and is accustomed to working with foreign counsel on cross-border transactions and disputes. Mr. Mencio has conducted multiple international arbitrations in the United States, Europe and Latin America.
Mr. Mencio, was born in Havana, Cuba, on January 16, 1951. At the University of Miami School of Law, he was Articles and Comments Editor of its Law Review, and authored "Civil Procedure, Developments in Florida Law," 35 U. Miami L. Rev. 855 (1981). Mr. Mencio began his law career with Holland & Knight in 1981 and was named partner in 1987. He serves on the Board of Directors of Holland & Knight and Chairs the International Practice and Initiatives of the firm.
Mr. Mencio is Past Chairman of the Global Initiatives Committee of the Greater Miami Chamber of Commerce.
Contact & Links
- 701 Brickell Avenue, Suite 3300
Miami, FL 33131
- Florida International University, BS
- Florida, The Florida Bar
- Cuban-American Bar Association - Member
- Inter-American Bar Association - Member
- International Bar Association - Member
- Maritime Law Association - Member
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association - Member
Named "Lawyer of the Year" by Best Lawyers® for:
- Transportation Law, Miami (2021)
- Transportation Law, Miami (2018)
- International Trade and Finance Law, Miami (2017)
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law, Miami (2016)
- Transportation Law, Miami (2013)
Recognized in The Best Lawyers® in America 2023 for work in:
- Transportation Law
- Banking and Finance Law
- International Trade and Finance Law
- Corporate Law
- International Mergers and Acquisitions
- Securitization and Structured Finance Law
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Florida Legal Elite, Florida Trend magazine
- Florida Super Lawyers magazine, 2006-2009
- The Legal 500 Latin America, Corporate/Mergers & Acquisitions, 2012
- Chambers USA – America's Leading Business Lawyers guide, Latin American Investment, 2009-2013
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
- Chambers Global – The World's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Corporate/M&A (Experts Based Abroad) and Corporate/M&A (Foreign Experts), 2013
- Chambers Latin America – Latin America's Leading Lawyers for Business guide, Corporate/M&A, 2014
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.