Gary Parsons handles trials and appeals in state and federal courts throughout North Carolina and adjoining states. He has represented clients in the energy, pharmaceutical, automotive, internet information, healthcare, communications and insurance industries.
Gary represents businesses ranging in size from Fortune 100 to regional and local companies, as well as local governments. He has litigated business disputes, intellectual property, antitrust, catastrophic personal injury, wrongful death, mass tort, lawyer malpractice, civil rights, and insurance coverage and bad faith claims. He also has significant experience in litigating regulatory disputes and professional disciplinary hearings before state administrative agencies.
Gary has participated in over 75 trials and over 125 appeals. He has argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit, the North Carolina Supreme Court, and the North Carolina Court of Appeals. He also appears regularly before all three U.S. Districts Courts in North Carolina and the North Carolina Business Court. In addition, Gary has appeared in the trial courts of over 70 of North Carolina’s 100 counties.
When Gary was voted the Top Litigation Attorney in North Carolina in a 2005 poll of North Carolina lawyers conducted by Business North Carolina Magazine, the then-President of the North Carolina Bar Association told the publication “If I were in trouble, he is the lawyer I would call for help.”
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business for Litigation: General Commercial (2011-2017)
- Recognized in Business North Carolina's "Legal Elite" Hall of Fame for Litigation
- Listed in North Carolina Super Lawyers for Business Litigation; Top 100 Lawyers in North Carolina (2006-2017); Top 25 Lawyers in Raleigh (2014-2015)
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star" by Benchmark Litigation in Insurance, Product Liability, Securities, Environmental and Business Litigation (2015-2017)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (2009-present)
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, President (2003-2004), Board of Directors (1998-2001), Judicial Committee (2011-2013)
- North Carolina Bar Association, Professionalism Committee (2004-2006), Appellate Rules Committee (1982-1985)
- Defense Research Institute, 1985-present
- American Bar Association, 1977-present
- Qualifying Your Expert; North Carolina is Now a Daubert State —The Litigator (North Carolina Bar Association, Vol. 34, No. 1, p. 1 November 2013)
- Privilege, Work Product and Related Ethical Issues for Inside Counsel in Litigation and Investigation, (Research Triangle Chapter, Association of Corporate Counsel, August 14, 2013)
- Litigation Management Planning, (Research Triangle Chapter, Association of Corporate Counsel, August 15, 2012)
- Section 1983 Actions Against Government Attorneys, (North Carolina Bar Association, The Workplace and the Constitution—Constitutional Rights and Responsibilities Section Annual Meeting, February 5, 2010)
- Ethical Considerations for the Insurer, Insured, and Defense Counsel, (North Carolina Bar Association, 2009 Insurance law Update, November 6, 2009)
- Preparing the Electrical Contact Accident for the Jury’s Eyes From the First Minute of the Investigation – (Southeastern Claims Association Eighty-Fourth Annual Seminar, June 18, 2009)
- Getting the Right People – Jury Selection—Nuts and Bolts, (North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys, Young Lawyers Seminar, February 27, 2009)