Gary concentrates his practice in the areas of commercial, regulatory, and administrative litigation, and employment law. He defends a variety of business clients in court, alternative dispute proceedings, as well as regulatory proceedings before agencies of the State of Vermont. He also advises clients on navigating through ever changing employment law challenges, to avoid and if necessary defend employment law claims. Along with a broad commercial litigation practice, Gary has particular experience in representing companies on a variety of regulatory issues at the Vermont Department of Financial Regulation, The Green Mountain Care Board, and the Attorney General's Office. This defense work includes rate filing approvals, regulatory and licensing investigations, contested hearings, medicaid and and consumer fraud investigations.
Gary grew up in Barre, Vermont, and returned to Vermont in 1995 after serving as Associate Counsel, U.S. House of Representatives Subcommittee on Select Education and Civil Rights in 1994. That subcommittee had jurisdiction over federal employment discrimination laws. Gary has served on the Vermont Labor Relations Board since 2009, which has jurisdiction over various Vermont collective bargaining laws. He was named Chair in September 2014. He serves as the Chair of the Board of Directors, and is the Managing Shareholder of the firm.
- Presenter, "Essentials of Employment Law" seminar; Sterling education. January 26, 2017; Hilton Hotel; Burlington, Vermont.
- Presenter at the 14th Annual Fundamentals of Employment Law on January 29, 2015
- Presenter on Health Insurance, "The Green Mountain Care Board and Rate Setting" at the Lorman Seminar Health Care Reform for Employers: Now What?, September 24, 2013
- Presenter at a Labor and Employment Law seminar regarding best practices and procedure in litigating cases before the Vermont Labor Relations Board, Burlington, Vermont, January 17, 2013.
- Moderator of a Workshop entitled The Extent of the Parties' Obligations to Provide Information During the Grievance Process, at the Vermont Labor Relations Conference, November 28, 2012.
- Labor Arbitration Institute Program on Labor Law and Arbitration, Boston, October 27, 2011.
- Presenter at the Eminent Domain: Key Trial Tactics with National Business Institute (NBI) in Burlington, Vermont, February 2010.
- Gary Franklin, Gary Karnedy and Greg Eaton were presenters at the Insurance Coverage Litigation Seminar with National Business Insurance (NBI) in Burlington Vermont, March 25, 2009.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Vermont
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Hampshire
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit