For more than fifteen years, Galen has concentrated his practice on representing businesses and individuals in a wide range of transactions. Galen has significant experience structuring, negotiating, and documenting transactions, from mergers and acquisitions to real estate development transactions.
Galen joined Bell, Davis & Pitt in 1999. Prior to attending law school at Wake Forest University, Galen practiced as a CPA with Ernst & Young, LLP. His principal areas of practice include:
- General business representation, including choice of entity; entity formation; matters of corporate governance and operational issues; negotiating, structuring and drafting commercial contracts, operating agreements, buy-sell agreements and employment agreements;
- Business transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, redemptions, dissolutions, asset and stock sales and purchases, joint ventures, like-kind exchanges, real estate development;
- Legal due diligence preparation and review;
- Advising nonprofit organizations regarding obtaining 501(c)(3) tax exemption and ongoing compliance, transaction, and operational matters;
- Shareholder and member buy-sell and operating agreements and family limited partnerships;
- Private placements and other capital transactions;
- Secured lending transactions;
- Tax planning; and
- Shareholder disputes and resolution.
Galen is active in the Winston-Salem community. He currently serves on the board of directors of the YMCA of Northwest North Carolina and is a member of the Winston-Salem Downtown Rotary.
Originally from Harrisonburg, Virginia, Galen received his undergraduate degree from Randolph Macon College in Ashland, Virginia; a Master of Accountancy from Virginia Tech; and his law degree from Wake Forest University School of Law.