Gabriel E. Gore is an experienced trial lawyer who concentrates on complex civil litigation and white collar defense. He has tried over twenty cases, including cases involving breach of contract, product liability, misappropriation of trade secrets, securities fraud, breach of trust, employment and property damage claims. His clients include Fortune 500 corporations, corporate executives and high-ranking government officials.
Gabe’s civil litigation experience includes commercial disputes, product liability defense, False Claims Act defense and employment defense. He has defended white collar matters and conducted internal investigations involving allegations of accounting and securities fraud, False Claims Act violations, Medicare and Medicaid fraud, antitrust violations, mail and wire fraud, environmental violations, immigration violations and public corruption.
Prior to joining Dowd Bennett, Gabe served as a law clerk to the Honorable John R. Gibson of the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals; an assistant U.S. attorney; an assistant special counsel for the Waco investigation; an associate at Williams & Connolly LLP; and a partner at Bryan Cave LLP.
Gabe is active in the community. He currently serves as Board Chair of the Missouri State University Board of Governors. He served as a gubernatorial appointee to the Ferguson Commission, which was charged with making recommendations to move the St. Louis community forward following the unrest in Ferguson, Missouri. He was also a founding board member of KIPP St. Louis Public Charter Schools.
Representative Civil Litigation
- Obtained a dismissal of civil ordinance violation charges filed against a Washington Post and a Huffington Post reporter in a case that raised important First Amendment issues.
- Represented Anheuser-Busch in the jury trial of a highly publicized gender discrimination suit brought by its formerly highest ranking female executive, Francine Katz. Ms. Katz sought recovery of more than $15 million in lost wages and interest, plus punitive damages. After 13 days of testimony, it took 9 of the 12 jurors less than one full day of deliberations to return a verdict for Anheuser-Busch.
- Represented Emerson Electric in the case of Automation Service v. Emerson Process Management and Fisher Controls, which was tried to jury verdict. The case involved a trade secret and contract dispute against a re-manufacturer of Fisher Controls valves and actuators. The jury ruled for Emerson on all counts and awarded $5.4 million in damages on Emerson’s claims.
- Served as co-lead counsel representing the Monsanto Company in the trial of Monsanto Company v. ConocoPhillips Co. The matter involved the breach of a supply agreement and was tried for nine days in St. Louis County Circuit Court. The jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of the Monsanto Company in the amount of $7.6 million.
- Served as lead trial counsel in the matter of Laclede Gas Company v. Park 370 Development, LLC et al. A St. Louis County Circuit Court jury returned a unanimous verdict in favor of Dowd Bennett LLP client Laclede Gas Company following a one-week trial. The jury found Park 370 Development, LLC, a land developer, liable based on a novel property damage claim.
- Served as lead counsel in the trial of Smith v. UHO. Following a one-week breach of contract trial, the jury returned a verdict for $600,000 on our client’s claim for breach of an oral partnership agreement.
- Defended a leading defense industry company against a breach of contract claim in excess of $20 million that was dismissed on summary judgment.
- Defended a public figure in connection with a high-profile defamation claim that was dismissed on summary judgment. The dismissal was affirmed in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals.
- Served as a member of a defense team that represented a major medical device manufacturer on products liability claims throughout the United States.
Representative White Collar Defense / Internal Investigation Matters
- Mr. Gore has been very successful in assisting companies in navigating the grand jury process and managing the risk associated with such investigations. Represented numerous companies and business executives in grand jury investigations in over 25 federal and state jurisdictions throughout the United States.
- Conducted a high-profile investigation regarding whether a major public university had acted in accordance with Title IX and university policy in connection with allegations that a student-athlete had been sexually assaulted.
- Represented a business executive who was indicted on federal immigration fraud charges and obtained a dismissal of the indictment on a motion to dismiss.
- Served as a member of the trial team that successfully represented a former CEO of a Fortune 200 company in an eight-month jury trial involving allegations of securities fraud and insider trading.