Frederick C. "Fred" Baker
Recognized since 2020
Mount Pleasant, South Carolina
Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
A veteran litigator with strong roots in complex litigation, Fred Baker has worked on a broad range of environmental, medical costs recovery, consumer and products liability cases and holds numerous leadership roles within the firm.
Fred represents individuals, institutional investors, and governmental entities in a wide variety of cases. He leads the firm’s tobacco litigation, and was a member of the legal team that litigated the groundbreaking tobacco litigation on behalf of several State Attorneys General. Fred has also participated in the litigation of individual tobacco cases, entity tobacco cases and a tobacco class action.
In addition to his tobacco casework, Fred is part of the opioid litigation team which represents dozens of states, cities, towns, counties and townships in litigation targeting the alleged misrepresentation of harmful and addictive opioids by manufacturers and distributors.
Fred was also a key member of the firm’s representation of people and businesses in Gulf Coast communities suffering as a result of the BP Deepwater Horizon oil spill. He held a central role in the negotiation process involving the two settlements reached with BP, one of which is the largest civil class action settlement in U.S. history. In addition, his environmental experience also includes representing a state government in a case against poultry integrators that alleged poultry waste polluted natural resources.
Fred has served as counsel in a number of class actions, including the two class action settlements arising out of the 2005 Graniteville train derailment chlorine spill. He was also closely involved in the litigation surrounding the statutory direct action settlement reached in the Manville bankruptcy court and a related West Virginia unfair trade practices insurance class action.
Fred began practicing with Motley Rice attorneys in 1994 and chairs the firm’s attorney hiring committee.
* Please remember that every case is different. Any result we achieve for one client in one matter does not necessarily indicate similar results can be obtained for other clients.
- 28 Bridgeside Boulevard
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
- Duke University, J.D. / L.L.M., graduated 1993
- The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.A., graduated 1985
- New York, 1994
- South Carolina, 1994
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First, Second, Third, Fourth, Fifth, Tenth, Eleventh and D.C. Circuits
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York and the District of South Carolina
22 The Best Lawyers in America® awards
14 Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch® in America awards
- Mass Tort Litigation / Class Actions - Plaintiffs
2019 Lawdragon 500 Plaintiff Financial Lawyers
- South Carolina Lawyers Weekly
2016 Leadership in Law Award
- Consumer Protection Law
- Litigation - Environmental
- Litigation - Securities
- Personal Injury Litigation - Plaintiffs
- Product Liability Litigation - Plaintiffs
Your browser is not fully compatible with our automatic printer friendly formatting.
Please use the print button to print this profile page.