Frank's practice emphasizes complex commercial litigation, including insurance coverage and product liability matters. His experience includes trial work in federal and state courts, as well as in private arbitration and mediation. He also regularly advises corporate policyholders with respect to the scope and availability of insurance coverage, the presentation of insurance claims and the negotiation of settlements with insurance companies. Frank's clients include regional and national entities involved in disputes in Oregon and across the country. He also serves as the firm's General Counsel.
Frank's recent litigation experience includes:
- Obtaining a defense verdict as lead trial counsel for a large public company following a seven week jury trial relating to liability for environmental contamination at three superfund sites, including the Portland Harbor, and over 1,200 asbestos claims.
- Obtaining a nearly four-million dollar arbitration award in a dispute involving the sale and installation of a defective material-handling system.
- Defeating a multi-million dollar claim in a federal court jury trial arising out of the termination of a distribution agreement.
- Prevailing on summary judgment in Oregon Federal District Court establishing entitlement to insurance coverage for a multi-car train derailment.
- Favorably resolving federal court lawsuits arising out of train derailments occurring in Nebraska, Kansas, and Wyoming.
- Successfully defending a large publicly-traded company against a claim of over $100,000,000 for breach of an endorsement and licensing agreement. This matter was tried in a private arbitration in which Frank was one of the three primary trial lawyers representing the defendant.
- Prevailing on summary judgment against a nearly $15,000,000 claim arising out of a train derailment and upholding the judgment on appeal.
- Successfully defending clients against a trade secret misappropriation claim and defeating the plaintiff's motion for a preliminary injunction.
- Obtaining a preliminary injunction enforcing a client's right of first refusal in its endorsement contract with an NFL quarterback.
- Successfully defending a large publicly-traded company in a breach of warranty action involving sophisticated point-of-sale equipment.
- Obtaining summary judgment against dissenter's rights and breach of fiduciary duty claims seeking nearly $3,000,000.
- Recovering several million dollars in settlement of an insurance coverage action seeking coverage for asbestos claims filed across the country.
Prior to joining Tonkon Torp, Frank was an associate at Thelen Reid & Priest in San Francisco.